lx. come back to me

◯◯◯

◯◯◯

"I DON'T UNDERSTAND." Genevieve shut the door to her Bentley, balancing the phone between her shoulder and ear as she plucked her purse from the passenger's seat. "Why would you tell her that?"

"What was I supposed to say?" Jay challenged. "I know nothing about the guy. He's taking an interest in her, and she's comfortable with it."

Genny's Fendi sneakers paused on the concrete by the café's entrance. "You need to start being honest with yourself."

"What?"

"You know what. Also, we both know a relationship is not what Jiana needs right now. Not on top of everything else she's dealing with."

"They're not dating, just going on a date," he said. "And shouldn't you be telling her this?"

"I have. I actually know how to communicate. But she wasn't the one calling me in a panic nights ago because of this, mon loulou." Genny sighed. "Look, I'm here. I need to go."

"Fill us in."

"Mhm."

"And you need to be honest with yourself, too," Jay added. "My cousin called me to whine about you avoiding him. Get it together so I don't have to listen to that anymore."

"Bye!" Genny hung up, refusing to think about Yeonjun, whom she'd in fact been avoiding. She paused before entering the café and gazed into her reflection in the windows. She arranged the hem of her cropped vest, flipped down her white shirt collar, retied the drawstring on her black joggers. Then she slipped her sunglasses into her purse and entered the building.

Genny ordered, then she made a beeline for a table of two near the back. "Hi," she said.

Hyunjoo glanced up. Identical sunglasses covered her eyes, so Genny couldn't see her expression fully, but she could guess at the displeasure that probably resided there. "Hello."

Genny sat down. "Thanks for agreeing to this."

Hyunjoo took a sip of her latte. "I only have a few minutes."

"I..." Genny began lightly. "I had some things I wanted to ask you, about what happened with the girls last year."

Hyunjoo removed her sunglasses, frowned. "Why?"

Genny hesitated. "I've been thinking about it recently. The cops said Mei... killed herself. I guess I just want to understand why."

"I try not to think about it."

"But we do need to." Genny had to be gentle, otherwise she'd get nothing from her. "Otherwise we can't heal."

Hyunjoo eyed her. "You know what happened. You were there."

"I still have some questions." Genny inhaled deeply. "For example, did you know Yeseul was in a relationship?"

The reply was instant. "Of course."