lix. awards night

◯◯◯

◯◯◯

"SPILL," YUI URGED, setting a glass of white wine before her husband.

Namjoon took a long sip. The only reason he attended yacht club get-togethers was to get piping-hot gossip about the most important families in the district for Yui and Jiana. He absently pet Barbie, who'd made herself comfortable in Jiana's lap, as he drew out the silence.

"The mayor's cheating on his wife."

Yui's mouth dropped. "No."

"Yes."

"But, they're like... the icons of marital bliss. Even on social media..." Yui trailed off, and Jiana nodded. She saw them all the time on the news with their kids, the perfect family. But if there was anything she'd learnt from living here, it was that perfection was a myth.

"Mhm." Namjoon nodded. "And guess who he's cheating with?"

Yui and Jiana both leaned in.

"Her sister."

Gasps all around. "You're kidding," Yui said. Barbie woofed as if in agreement.

Namjoon shook his head. "Today he was talking about regretting his decisions because he 'married the wrong one.'"

"That's awful!"

"I know."

"His son goes to your school." Yui turned to Jiana, taking a sip of her wine. "Yeongho, right? What's he like?"

Jiana thought. She knew Heeseung hated him, and what he hated more was that Yeongho was too powerful to attack directly. And she'd heard rumors of his escapades, but those were rumors. He's dating Heeseung's fourteen year-old sister, she wrote.

Namjoon blinked. "And he's your age."

Jiana nodded.

"Isn't that illegal? What is wrong with these kids?" Yui ran her fingers through her dark hair.

Many things.

"No kidding." The three of them sat back on the couch in a companionable silence until Yui turned to Jiana suddenly. "Oh, Jia, it's a little last-minute, but we'll be traveling to the countryside soon to visit your grandparents. They've been wanting to meet you."

Your parents? Jiana inquired.

"Yes," Yui clarified, cutting into her cake slice with her fork before popping it through Jiana's lips.

"Definitely not mine," Namjoon muttered. Jiana cocked her head, questioning. Namjoon sighed. "They disowned me years ago."

Jiana's mouth dropped open. Why?

"I married Yui." He shrugged. "They didn't like that the person I wanted wasn't someone they chose, someone from their idea of a 'good family.' They said that if I went ahead and did it anyway, they'd disinherit me. I said alright. And that's where we're at. They probably thought I'd come crawling back."