lxiii. the masked ball (pt. 1)

◯◯◯

◯◯◯

FRIDAY'S ROSE WAS PINK.

They didn't have yellow, Jiana had signed. The world could be collapsing around them and Jiana would still find a way to deliver Jay flowers. She'd given it to him before rushing off to an early ballet practice that morning. Jay had been with Aeji and Genny in the parking lot, and they'd shot him meaningful looks after she left.

"How have you not fallen in love with her yet?" Aeji had asked.

"How do you know I haven't?" he'd challenged.

Sunday was Jay's masquerade birthday ball, courtesy of his parents, who'd somehow managed to cooperate and plan the entire thing. The party was being held at a castle his father owned on the outskirts of the district, and everyone who was anyone had received invitations.

Jay should've been getting ready, but he was perched beside Jiana on the bench of her vanity, resting his cheek on his fist as he watched her dust glittery shadow onto her eyelids in shades that matched the gold baroque mask hanging off the table's edge.

"You're so pretty," he mumbled.

They locked gazes with each other in the mirror, and she nodded. You're right, she mouthed, her lip curling.

He chuckled. "I know. Jake fumbled."

Jiana snorted, causing the lipstick she was applying to smear. She frowned at him.

"Hey, that was your fault."

She raised a brow in challenge, then slowly wiped some color off her lip with the pad of her thumb. He was watching the action closely when suddenly she pressed it to his face, staining the corner of his mouth with pale red. His eyes widened.

Now we match, Jiana signed.

"How dare you." She smiled, and he scowled. He turned to the mirror and puckered his lips. "Oh, I look sexy."

It's not fair.

Jay grinned. He reached for Jiana's face, gently tilting her chin upward with one hand before rubbing off the lipstick smear with the other. Her eyes followed him as he took the tube to reapply the color to her mouth. He leaned closer to see better, heart thumping. He could feel the soft breath she exhaled from her parted lips, and he was simply not strong enough to stop his eyes from dipping downward.

Jiana caught the gaze. The corners of her lips drew up slightly, but she stopped the smile by catching some of her bottom lip between her teeth.

Jay dropped the lipstick.

"Uh." He pointed to her face in a vague motion. "It's done." He bent to pick up the cosmetic.

Thank you. Jiana walked into her closet to put her dress on.

Jay pressed his palms to his cheeks as he inhaled deep. Genny's voice came from behind. "You definitely both forgot I was here."

He didn't say anything because she was right.