xxiii. the regatta (pt. 1)

◦◦◦

◦◦◦

"HMM," GENNY HUMMED thoughtfully, rearranging her position on the couch she shared with Jay inside Jiana's closet, next to the full-length mirror. "A tad too preppy for my taste."

"Yes, it's really... shippy," Jay added.

"I think the word you're looking for is 'nautical,' Jongseong dear."

"Yes, that's it. Too much of that." Jay said. "Next, please."

Jiana sighed, tilting her face upward in exasperation. This was the millionth outfit she'd tried on, but these two were more avid fashionistas than she'd bargained for. Jiana trudged back behind the folding screen to strip off the navy suit-miniskirt combo and put something else together.

"Too yellow," Genny declared immediately.

"Piss color," Jay added as he spooned some honey from the jar into his mouth. "Please set that dress on fire. Seriously, is this a maternity outfit?"

Jiana clasped her hands tightly together, looking like she was close to setting him on fire.

"One more?" Genny pleaded.

Jiana sighed and shuffled back inside.

When she reemerged, the other two went silent. Genny blinked rapidly, a smile creeping over her face. "This is it. We found it." She turned to ask Jay's opinion, then scowled. "Quit drooling, you ape."

Jiana turned to face the mirror. She could see what they meant. The tweed baby pink three-piece with a matching miniskirt and overcoat was elegant, effortlessly expensive-looking. And her artfully messy topknot and Ray-bans added the perfect touch. Jiana liked wearing these beautiful clothes. She felt guilty thinking that.

Jay pointed. "White sneakers," he said, recovering, and Jiana trudged over to put them on. Jay turned to Genny. "Are we good at this or what?"

"I'm good. All you did was sit on your ass and make dumb comments and eat honey." She reached over to wrench the bottle from his grasp, to his protests. "It can't possibly be good for you."

"First of all, you don't eat honey; you lick it. Second of all, this is an organic, super-natural brand."

"Doesn't mean you're supposed to fucking guzzle it down."

Jiana watched them argue, a small smile on her lips. It was pleasant, doing something so mundane with friends by her side. Of course she'd had companions before, at the foster homes. But none of them knew when they'd be picked up and whisked off; there was always this temporary feeling that came with getting to know someone new. And as Jiana had watched them go, one by one, while she grew older and less desirable, she'd been forced to relinquish her hope for a miracle.

"What are you thinking about, angel?"

Genny looked at Jay in shock. "You've been spending too much time with Jaeyun. Angel? Really?"