xxii. thief

◦◦◦

◦◦◦

"I CANNOT BELIEVE you just did that," Genny breathed.

Why? Jiana typed.

"Because, you're like... I don't know. I thought you were... soft."

Jiana smiled. I am soft.

The two locked eyes in the mirrors of the bathrooms. Finally, Genny sighed, shaking her head. "You keep surprising me. Anyway, it was really fucking attractive."

Jiana's cheeks flamed.

Genevieve chortled, amused at her expense. Then her laughs died down as her expression darkened. "You know, I left them for a reason and I don't regret it, but... Jay was right. I go out of my way to avoid them, and when they confront me, I choke." She shook her head again. "If you hadn't stepped in, I really would've... How pathetic is that?"

It's not, Jia typed. For a long time, it's like they determined your worth. It's hard to break free from that.

"But I've been trying."

Yes. But it'll take time. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Genny's lips turned up as she gazed at Jiana. "I'm starting to really like you. What do I do?"

Jiana shrugged modestly.

"And what are we going to do about your shirt?" Genny eyed her. "You can't go to class like that."

I have extras in my locker. At Genny's surprised expression, Jiana went on to explain, Yui told me to always keep some in there, because you never know.

"Yui is a smart woman. What's your combination? I'll grab the shirt for you," Genny said, and Jiana quickly wrote it down.

As Genny left, the bathroom stall door creaked open as a girl stepped out, the toilet flushing automatically behind her. She flashed Jiana a shy smile as she drew forward to wash her hands in the sink, sneaking glances. Jiana sat on the edge of the sink counter, feet dangling below. Neither spoke.

Finally, the girl worked up her nerve. "H- hey," she stammered, and Jia's gaze snapped to her. "You're Jiana, right?"

Jiana nodded.

"Uh, I saw what happened in the dining hall. That was really cool of you." The girl smiled, shy. "I'm Nina. Xu Nina."

Mei's sister. Jiana felt like someone had just poured ice water all over her.

Nina was a well-known junior. Jiana also knew she was Riki's self-proclaimed "nemesis," but Jiana never could take him very seriously whenever he went off on one of his endless 'Nina rants.' They were so frequent, you'd think the girl was a witch sent to torture him. But the blonde standing before Jiana right now didn't look much like a witch at all.