lxviii. that has to mean something

◯◯◯

◯◯◯

JIANA SPENT THEIR LAST full day at her grandparents' cottage thinking. Her notebook lay across her lap as she zoned out.

Her grandparents' home, coincidentally, was decorated in her favorite color. The living room walls were painted in muted hues of sage, and potted plants resided in every corner. She'd hardly moved from the soft brown couch all day, her back propped on a mound of pillows. Her eyes skirted over the vintage framed photographs on the wall, resting upon the piano sitting at the end of where the room extended. Behind was a large window displaying the green trees and shrubs outside.

Jiana still couldn't believe what she'd learned.

Mei had indeed been alive and well for a while after going missing. Her body washing up during the regatta meant that she'd returned to Geumhan at some point and died shortly after.

Except, had she really drowned on her own? What about the injections? It would've been easy to get her hands on the potassium chloride if she was already purchasing MDMA from the same dealer. How feasible was it that she'd poisoned herself before jumping into the river?

The recurring theme of drowning was haunting. Chunhua, Mei's biological mother, died in the same way her daughter did. That has to mean something.

And wasn't the lover always the first suspect in a murder mystery? If Mrs. Jang had her facts right, Jiana could understand why a powerful man with much to lose if news of his affair leaked would want to eliminate the problem in any way possible.

That was another parallel: the rich baby daddy. One RBD, as Jiana had taken to thinking of the enigmatic men, had wanted nothing to do with his illegitimate child. Jiana presumed, since Mrs. Jang still knew nothing of his identity, that Chunhua's RBD still probably hadn't shown himself after her death. Where was he now? The other RBD, Yeseul's, was also a complete mystery. If it was true that he was much older than her, then perhaps both RBDs were the same person...?

Jiana didn't know whether she was an actual genius or just incredibly stupid.

It made sense, but it also didn't. Maybe Chunhua's RBD did kill her. But what about Yeseul's? In keeping with the pattern, it shouldn't have been Mei's body they found; it should've been Yeseul's. Jiana thought about it. Probably, the big news Mei had written in her editorial was that Yeseul was pregnant. Then Mei received those messages telling her to delete it. Who else, save for Yeseul, would've been directly affected by the news getting out?

Her baby daddy, of course.

Did Mei ever interact with Yeseul's RBD? If so, what sort of relationship did they have?