oo. excerpts

The following is a series of excerpts of interviews conducted by Officer Kang A. of the Geumhan District Police Department for the ongoing investigation on the missing case of Oh Yeseul.

Date: 20/19/23

- beginning of excerpts -

1. Heo Hyunjoo

K: You were close to Oh Yeseul, weren't you, Ms. Heo?

H: Oh, close doesn't even begin to cover it. We were two halves of the same hole, platonic soulmates. I really... (sniffs) I miss her so much- (cuts out) She'd better be alive. Or I'll kill her myself. (laughs, sobs)

K: Here's a tissue. Ms. Heo, did you notice any changes in Ms. Oh on the days prior to her disappearance?

H: No, she was the same. We actually went shopping the day before we realized that she never returned home.

K: How did Ms. Oh react to the disappearance of Xu Meijin?

H: She felt bad, obviously. We all felt bad. We went out to search for her along with everybody else.

K: Were Yeseul and Meijin closely acquainted?

H: Yes, they were friends. We all got quite close this year. We never hung out in the same circles before, but then Mei became the Student Council treasurer and we got to know her better. In fact, we got very close in a short amount of time. We told each other everything. We knew each other intimately; me, Yeseul, Mei, and our other friends.

K: Intimately?

H: Yes, intimately.

K: Well, according to statements from some of your fellow schoolmates, you all were frequently seen together. However, in an interesting statement by Ms. Xu's younger sister, Xu Nina, she mentioned that she didn't think Yeseul and Meijin got along.

H: Nina and Mei didn't get along. She knows very little about her sister.

K: So why do you think she said that?

H: How would I know?

K: Others said something similar.

H: Look. Yeseul was our golden girl. Everyone loved her. She was wonderful and really smart and loved having fun. But some people get jealous of that kind of thing.

K: You're saying the only enemies she would've had were people who were disgruntled about her success.

H: Yes.

K: Hmm. You know, some others we spoke to painted a very different image of your friend. We were told that she could be quite... vindictive, at times. She could apparently make your life very miserable if she had it out for you.

H: Who? Yeseul?

K: That's who we're talking about, yes.

H: No.

K: No?

H: If anyone could be vindictive, it was Mei. I loved her, but she was kinda... messed up.

K: Why do you say that?

H: I didn't know all the details, but apparently she was abducted when she was younger. For a couple of years. It was a pretty traumatic childhood, and I think it affected her even up until she went missing. Made her kinda suicidal.