lxv. say a prayer

◯◯◯

◯◯◯

NOBODY WOULD MISS THE shed if it burned down.

The area was unkempt, uncared for, riddled with dilapidated buildings and overgrown country. Few companies had attempted to revive the area in the past, but none saw it through. Jay had stumbled upon the area once when inspecting some rural property for his father. It was perfect for what he was doing today.

There was the distinct smell of smoke. Jay sat far from the wreck in the nondescript Kia he'd borrowed, his phone playing back the video-audio feed from the speaker-camera he'd planted within. He'd sent his security away once they'd delivered the hostages, so he was here alone.

Inside, five people were tied up and placed at the front, near the door. Flames spread from the back, licking up the woodwork.

They struggled against their bonds, sobbing. "We're sorry! We said we're sorry! It won't happen again-"

"It's happened before."

Their faces paled further, realizing that this wasn't punishment for just last night. It was also for all the people they'd done the same thing to and gone farther with. One thing about Jay: he always did his homework.

"Please!" The flames raged. "Do whatever you want but please! We don't want to die!"

Jay made a face. "Calm down."

"But-"

"I told you. I called the cops and told them there's a fire. They'll be here."

"What if they don't come on time?"

Jay chuckled. "Say a prayer."

He'd never seen Jiana look like she had last night. She'd looked furious. She'd looked like she wanted to kill someone. But underneath it all was a deep sadness, one that'd clutched at his heartstrings. He never wanted to see her like that again. And he felt awful. He'd thought they'd kept security tight. It would've pissed her off, but he should've had his people keep an eye on her.

The shed burned. Almost half the space had been swallowed up by fire. Meanwhile, one of the men was silent, staring hatefully into the camera while his friend wailed hysterically, "You have to understand! We were working under orders! We'd have gotten in big trouble if we didn't-"

Jay took a deep breath. "You violated her based on someone's orders?"

"W-well, not... not exactly, we were supposed to abduct and scare-"

"Then why did you cross that line?"

The silent one finally spoke up. "She's so pretty." His smile was disgusting. "Don't you want to know what she looks like under those clothes? Honestly, I wish I'd had a little more time-"

"Mun, shut up," the one beside him hissed.

"Whose orders were you following?" Jay asked, calm.