𝚇𝚇𝚇𝙸𝙸𝙸

Vale's P

Vale's P.o.v:

           My grip was tight on the reins and my arms hurt because of the uncomfortable position. The horse's heavy steps made my back ache, but I kept my balance on the saddle as well as I could. The moon played peek-a-boo behind the tall trees of the forest and I was delighted every time I saw the night princess looking at me with her usual coldness. I have been admiring the moon ever since I was a little girl. Something about its deep mystery made me become interested in it since I was a child. Every time my mother would have read me bedtime stories, my gaze would have followed the circular shape of the moon which looked at me through my window. The black sky transformed into a fairytale realm while the rigid surface of the moon morphed into a silky material which embraced a beautiful young woman. I can still remember her features, as so described by my mother, a highly respected princess who reigned in a suspended palace in the sky. Her skin was pale, similar to the color of the white marble altar in our church. Her hair was long, so long that it reached her ankles and it had a tint of the purest silver. Her body looked weak, but she was strong, maintaining her throne for over millions of years, shining on the sky for every generation of princes and princesses. She never bled, but when she cried, another shiny dot would appear in her kingdom. A newborn star, meant to let the world know that the princess will always keep her eyes open. She will always protect those who believe.
          Sometimes, I even felt like she looked back at me, smiled and bowed her head, the numerous diamonds that fell in her hair from the heavy crown brushing on her pale temples. Even now, I knew that she was looking out for me.

Vale: *I tapped the white horse's neck* You're doing great Aida.

          The mare neighed, white steams dimming in the air as she breathed through her nose letting me know that she received the compliment. She belonged to my mother, but on occasions like this one, my mother would let me ride her horse. Aida was the calmest horse among our four stallions and three mares and both me and my brother learned how to ride on her back. The situation was a bit rushed today. I had to leave the house immediately, ride to the other corner of the village to attend a friend's birthday and now I chose to take the easier route, through the forest. My friend's mother offered me shelter and told me to wait until morning. "The forest can be dangerous during the night." It was true. But I wasn't afraid. In fact, I loved the calmness of the forest during the night. A few birds would chirp every now and then and owls would look at me with their big, round eyes, letting me know that I wasn't alone. I grew up in a forest like this one, our little farmhouse thriving among tall, pine trees. I got to know every type of plant, fruit, trees and animals and even befriend some of them. Everything was perfect, just like a painting, but I felt like I was a detail that didn't belong to this perfect painting. I felt like I didn't belong here.
          Aida's hooves left behind traces on the crumbly earth. My gaze wandered on the tree trunks flanked by the gloom. I remember walking through a forest like this. Fighting with a monster, with a jaguar, accomplishing a goal, but those memories seemed distant. I fought to break a curse, I spared the life of a tiger and I poured melting wax over red roses. I screwed up my eyes when I spotted something in the distance. I demanded Aida to walk faster and once I reached the tree in question, I pulled the reins backwards, the white mare coming to a halt immediately. A dirty piece of paper was staring at me, hung on the tree trunk with a rusted nail. At first sight, I thought it was a simple sign with wanted criminals, guaranteeing the damned ones an execution and promising an amount of money which will never weigh down the palm of an ordinary man. This sign wasn't like that. It was showing the almost erased picture of a boy. Around the age of 8, the little one smiled back at me. Under the image, heavy letters made the smile disappear from my face: MISSING CHILD. A few more details were written underneath, but the signs of the time erased the black ink and a corner of the paper was also missing. I knew I must have been delusional, but I felt an unexplainable connection with the child. And it made me wonder... Did they find him? Or was he still missing? Was he even alive?
          I flinched when Aida's neigh broke through the silence. Right. I still had a long way to go and truth be told, my whole body felt heavy, soreness embracing my muscles and tickles running up and down my limbs. The weather didn't look too great either. Thick clouds have been covering my night princess for a while now, announcing possible bad weather conditions, completely unsuitable for riding through the woods.