IV • What are you hiding?

The sorting ceremony was a long and boring process as per usual. It was the same every time, the hat would sing his riddle about the year to come, and the first years looked at said hat as if it were a daunting beast, they were sorted into their houses, people cheered and clapped, the first years sat down and then Dumbledore would give his speech.

As the ceremony came to a close, Aurora was then dreading the long lecture her headmaster would give, it was inevitably long and boring and she wanted to eat.

Her thoughts were horrid, she immediately scolded herself for such rude, careless thoughts. So she beamed up at the headmaster, and without any more complaints, listened to what he had to say as her silent apology for her unkind thinking.

Dumbledores speech continued for what felt like forever, but Aurora none the less, provided him with her full attention. "We also wish a welcome to our new Defence against the Dark Arts teacher, professor Delores Umbridge"

At his introduction a lady that sat besides Professor Snape, let out an awfully girlish giggle. Aurora shifted slightly to face her. It pained Aurora but her first thought at the sight of the woman was particularly unkind. Her face on instinct scrunched in disgust at her choice of clothes. She wore a bright pink woolen cardigan, an odd looking hat, matching plaid skirt and a pair of awful one inch heals.

She initially assumed the new profesor would be one of those 'friendly villains'. The evilest kind. The fiends who always wore the sweetest of smiles but held the persona of a snake. But first impressions are often wrong, Aurora reminded herself, she's probably lovely.

"And I'm sure you'll all join me, in wishing the professor good luck." She's going to need it. All of their previous DA teachers had never lasted more than a year, Aurora could only assume that would be the case with this lady. "Ah, as usual" Dumbledore continued "Our caretaker, Mr Filch, has asked me to remind you-"

"Ehem'' Umbridge interrupted. This caused eyes to widen throughout the entire hall, everyone was aware that Dumbledore shouldn't be interrupted during his speeches, yet this woman had done so, so callously. It wasn't the way things were done here, it was absurd, but no one spoke their opinion. She raised from her seat and gave the room a sickening grin as she batted her eyelashes. The whole situation felt wrong to everybody.

She took her time as she strode to the front of the stage, she had created the loudest silence in the atmosphere and Rory couldn't help but be slightly impressed. It proved she had power. Her actions had bloomed a feeling of respect in Aurora, along with a feeling of dislike. The only noise to be heard were the steps she took "Thank you Headmaster."

This time, her words weren't the only ones Rory could hear, across from her she overheard Harry making a comment directed to Hermione. "She was at my hearing." He stated. "She works for Fudge." Dread blossomed with in her. Cornelius, the minister, was beginning to infiltrate Hogwarts, he very obviously didn't like Harry's accusations about the return of you-know-who, and planned to silence him with someone on the inside. Umbridge was going to be trouble she realized.

"For those kind words of welcome" the lady dressed in pink continued, "And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me." She directed this to the student sitting facing her. Auroras eyes traveled the room, she was yet to spot any 'bright, smiling, happy faces' in fact Rory could see the same detest, visible on the majority's faces, that she was currently feeling herself. Even the Slytherins held expressions of slight disgust, Hell, even Draco Malfoy was visibly cringing.

"I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends" the words seemed condescending, although the pink professor knew something they didn't. Quite murmurs erupted amongst the students.