XXXI • Armestice

Silence... again.

It was a complete repeat of their study session the week prior. No one dared to utter a single word. The silence was for a different reason that time. The session before, they remained quiet as an excuse to prevent themselves from doing something rash, unpredictable.

They were both sick of the silence, but neither knew what to say. It felt odd for Theodore, unsure how to talk to someone, confidence usually just came naturally to him, but he was in a different situation, he had to admit his wrongs. He didn't want to do that.

He hated how he didn't have to scowl at her anymore when she wasn't even looking, he would miss his petty leers. When he first sat down, he glared on instinct, as though it was a reflex. When he remembered she was no longer his rival, even if she never knew it, his face softened but looking at her with such an expression felt weird and foreign, so he settled for a plain face. His stare lacked any emotion.

The in between. He couldn't flare anymore but it felt plain wrong to give Aurora a stare of endearment. The thought used to sicken his old self, old habits die hard. For the time being, he would just stare at her with a blank face until he could learn to tolerate otherwise.

Aurora acted as though he didn't exist. He doubted that if he tried to steal her attention she would provide it for long. It was hopeless, but if Theodore was anything it was annoyingly persistent. He thought back to the past six months, how he had dedicated so much of his time to either scheming or attempting to torment her.

He was about to open his mouth but was interrupted by a voice. "Rory, I've found you." Theo froze. He knew who it was. Gross. The funny part of the issue was that the particular wizard who spoke to them from five feet away, wasn't someone Theodore dedicated his time to hating, in fact whenever he was met with that wizard he often rolled his eyes and groaned in annoyance.

He wanted to, he really wanted to, but he wanted to listen to what he had to say to Aurora more.

Aurora also wanted to roll her eyes and grow. Cormac Mclaggen was becoming an everyday occurrence, he and his little friends Zac and Ernie, hadn't allowed her one day of peace since she accidentally found herself on her knees in front of him. She knew what he wanted, but she would rather die than give it to him after he purposely bulldozed into her.

Sighing to herself she woke up. "You found me." She smiled, warmly, Aurora knew she had to break back into the habit of being completely perfect. Her mother wouldn't be pleased with her past behaviour, to condemn herself that week she volunteered to set up Christmas decorations and help tutor the first years and the biggest sacrifice of all smiling at Cormac Mclaggen.

Okay she as being dramatic but he was annoying her constantly those days.

"I've been looking everywhere for you." That's when Aurora noticed Ernie in the corner of the library, with his head resting on the palm of his hand as he fashioned a bored expression. His excitement was over whelming - note the sarcasm.

She guessed Cormac had been dragging Ernie on his missions to find her. "Have you now?" She grinned again, the will to contain her smile leaving her.

Why must everyone who makes her furious, be around when she's studying on Friday? Theodore included, though she wasn't particularly bothered by him, in fact it was quite the opposite, she didn't know what to say.

"I was wondering" Cormac trailed, "if you were doing anything for christmas?" He grinned widely with confidence he never earned.