XLII • Concealed shames

Arms eloped, Rory, Harry, Hermione and Ron rushed through the streets of Hogsmeade. Rory insisted that they walk linked, and although they strode in a horizontal line, she of cource led them. Pulling her younger friends along, she spoke so lively.

"Broomsticks for breakfast? Or - ooh how about we go to honeydukes!" Running on the spot, she giggled to herself, her friends grinning fondly at her Rory - like attitude. They'd missed it too.

"Broomsticks surely." Ron chided in, his opinions heavy on the matter. The ginger headed wizard refused to skip his maple syrup infested waffle breakfast, his favourite part about Hogsmeade.

The group of Gryffindors made their way through the noisy and active streets, politely pushing through the small crowd in search for their favourite bar. The food served there certainly topped the bland Wheat-bix they would've been eating for breakfast if they had stayed at Hogwarts.

Snow easily crushed under their shoes. The thick blanket softening as the chilly season approached closer to its end. Small hints of spring surprised them as the season of flowers neared, small flowers began to bloom and the snow lessened. It was about time, Rory thought.

The golden trio and Rory welcomed the warm air of the indoors with open arms. Pleased to find sanctuary from the still cold air that was outside. Their eyes rimmed for room, a table of which they could sit. It was tricky to find one at a place like the three broomsticks, the popularity was overwhelming at times.

A single table was left unattended by the corner of the room. The group of gold and red paused at the sight of the occupants of the table next to it. Slytherins chatted amongst themselves chewing eagerly on their own breakfast. Rory gripped her friends by their wrists and pulled them towards the table, not before shooting them a look that demanded they go unnoticed, there was no need for conflict.

The Slytherins didn't notice them, all but Theodore of course. Daphne wasn't there with them, but neither was Blaise, Rory assumed she'd be with him. Nott was there and his eyes remained on her, he didn't smile, he didn't glare, his tone was unreadable, confusing. Expressing no signs of emotion his eyes returned back to his friends.

The Nott boy had noticed her the very moment she had walked in. He didn't plan to communicate, in fact he didn't even want her there. Their last interaction left a bad tinge in his mouth. Despite not wanting to talk to her, he was quick to scare off the two second years who had attempted to sit in the seats beside their table as Aurora and her friends searched for a spot of their own.

He frowned when she approached the spot he had acquired for her.
He didn't want her there.

He easily noticed how her and her friends paused at the sight of them.
The audacity. He saved a spot for her. She shouldn't be hesitant.

She moved to sit. He wanted her gone.
She sat in the seat closest to him. Good.

He tended to change his mind quickly and often. 'Mixed feelings' he concluded.

From the table next to him, Rory engaged in conversation with her friends. "What're you having?" She asked. Ron went to open his mouth, she interrupted, giving him a pointed moon. "Waffles." The boy grinned.

"I'm in the mood for waffles." Harry concluded.

As they ate their breakfast, conversation was vast and changing, it soon twisted to the topic of a certain Ravenclaw that had won the interest of Harry Potter himself. "How do you do it?" Harry questioned.

"Huh?" Rory's head tilted to the left in question.

"You're just so charming." He shrugged. Hermione and Ron, with fond smiles nodded along to Harry's words.