LXII • Once upon a dream

The uncomfortable tug of locks provoked an awkward groan from Auroras chest as Angela Johnson attempted to brush her mane of brown curls. Hair, naturally straight was easy to contain, yet after a spell, that intended to curl her wavy strands of hair, had gone wrong Auroras hair proved to be a true storm.

"Ow!" She winced as her roommate pulled the flimsy brush through her new layers of now bushy hair.

"I'm so sorry Rory." The Johnson girl too flinched. "I promise I've done this spell well before!" She collected the tap water from their shared bathroom to dampen the rat nest. "Remember Katie at the Yule ball?" She paused.

Katie was a sore subject, the girl hexed to a coma was dearly missed by her roommates. "Yeah." Rory sighed. "She looked beautiful, you did her curls well." She glanced toward her reflection in the mirror and assessed the damage, damaged strands of curls spiralled from her scull, pointing to any and all angles at the tips. She released a snort. "I, however, look ridiculous."

Angela too chuckled. "I can fix it!" She promised collecting piles worth of hair products and brushes. "Let's get to work."

A Saturday afternoon different from the rest, Aurora Flores prepared herself for her first real date with Theodore Nott, disguised as an obligation, she feigned her discontent amongst her friends, even as she remained anything but. Lost within a fit of giddy blushes and uncontrollable giggles, she spoke with Angela as they prepared the girl for the evening.

"Okay, be honest with me Rory." The witch gushed from behind her. Eyes attached to the new curls she conjured, attention and focus on Auroras following words. "Are you really that disappointed that you have to bring Theodore Nott as your date?" The darker girl chewed her lower lip, raising her view to steal a glance at her friends expression.

As a reaction, she remained void, hopeful not to expose herself. "Uhm." Aurora released a weighted breath. "I guess." Clueless as to how she would deliver the proper response the youthful witch shrugged.

"Here." Angela stole a step backwards, assessing her work. Gentle ringlets cascaded down her bare back and shoulders, the glow of the night light beside them reflecting a fluorescent hue from her chocolate locks. "What'ya think?"

"Oh Angela." Rory swooned raising a dainty pointer to touch the curls, her hand was slapped away. "Uh ah." Angela tsk'd. "No touching." The girl sighed dreamily. "It'll ruin the magic before you even get there. Now." She squealed. "The dress."

The girl raced to the bed and collected the pink fabric, holding it close to her chest as she danced, Aurora laughing from her seat before the vanity as she applied a thin layer of gloss upon her pursed lips. She needed a tissue to wipe the corner of her mouth where a smudge of makeup product had betrayed her. "Stop! I can't laugh and do my makeup." Aurora screeched.

Her friend ignored her, neglecting Rory's wishes that she stop. Instead the girl spun faster, dress hugged close, a muggle melody seeping past her lips through song. "I walked with you once... upon... a dream."

"So original." Aurora rolled her eyes.

"Oh!... I love you." The girl beamed through her song. "Oh Aurora! My fair damsel, do not fret! For my kiss shall wake you from your cursed slumber." Angela puckered her lips and pressed a kiss smack on Auroras left cheek. "Mwuah!" They both giggled.

"I bet you think you're so funny; don't you?" Aurora laughed, beyond used to people mentioning her name and it's relations to a particular tale. Sleeping beauty, as they called it.

She had obviously watched the 1950s version. As a child the idea that her name was shared with a muggle princess was beyond enthralling, for her sixth birthday her parents purchased her the dvd for their muggle television, she watched it everyday for eight months, pink became her favourite wear and plastic tiaras were often found left astray wherever in the household.