XXVIII • Sleeping Beauty

It was dead silent but the lack of noise was loud. The epitome of awkward. The noises of scratching of quills and paper, the crinkle of turning pages and the footsteps of other students were amplified. The small sounds became the most noticeable. That's how dead silent it was.

Not a single word. Not a single acknowledgement of the other. They just sat there as though they were alone but they were both very well aware they weren't. Aurora kept her head down. Eyes glued to her work in front of her, scribbling down ingredients and adjustments of her selected potion with a frown. Theodore on the other hand was glad to look at her, he didn't do it with a pleasant expression though, but he knew she wouldn't dare look up so he figured she wouldn't notice his staring.

His iconic, prominent scowl did not once depart from his face. Eyes squinted, every evil thought that came to his mind filled him with a sense of satisfaction, the pain he could bring on her. He just had to try and stop thinking about her mum. He was doing a fair job, he liked thinking of ways to hurt her, psychologically of course. He fantasised about her demise long before he found out about her family issues, it was easier then, thinking evilly, freely, but after his discoveries no matter how hard he tried there was a little voice at the back of his head pleading him not to.

He wanted to take that little voice and stomp on it.

But it would probably scold him for doing that also. He thought in a mocking tone. It probably would, that voice had been with him since before he could remember, it often came as a reminder to 'do good'. He ignored it most of the time, but never once did it get the bloody message and give up.

Talk to her, it suggested.

No. He thought back. Now he just felt crazy, so he didn't respond to the voice when it suggested he talk to her again. The same phrase played through his head like a lullaby, an annoying, aggravating lullaby. Eventually it became to much in his head. It never pestered him that much, but ever since he found out about Auroras issues it was on hyper drive whenever he was within close proximity.

Sighing, loudly, he lulled his head to turn to her completely. His jaw and fists were clenched shut. He didn't want to ask for her attention so he kept doing the little things to achieve her attention. He kicked the table once, then twice. He sighed again and then again and then a third time.

She stopped writing with her quill, clearly getting the message he was trying to get her attention with out actually asking, of course he of all people would do that. She looked up from her work, so so desperate to leer at him but with ever fibre in her body she managed not to, instead her face was neutral. In her books, he didn't deserve a smile. "Yes." She murmured, loud enough for him to hear him but not loud enough any bystanders would know they were talking. He tried hard to cover his smile, failing horribly.

"Huh?" He acted oblivious, his mocking grin growing. She went to look down, he noticed this and spoke quickly. "Oh yeah, I'm done." He dismissed. She rolled her eyes and picked up his first half of the assignment. She didn't know what she expected when she read his work, his curved writing was impeccable she guessed it came from living in such a prestigious household, his work was good but she could see where it could be improved.

He grinned as an idea to mess with her played in his mind. He enacted it. "So? What do you think Briar Rose?"

She froze. Her shoulders tensed and her eyes narrowed into slits. "Huh?" Was all she could muster.

He knew she knew what he was talking about based on her reaction, he planned to act oblivious anyway. "You don't know who Briar Rose is?" He waited a moment before speaking again. "Sleeping Beauty? Because of your name and because we're doing draught of living -"