XXXVI • I made a friend...

Pacing hastily down the steps of 12 Grimmauld place, Rory took in a deep intake of air in an attempt to make her footsteps lighter whilst sprinting down the creaky floor boards of the old manor.

Despite her attempts the creaking was still very noticeable, she could only hope no one heard her and would remain asleep on their rooms. Rory enjoyed waking up so early in the morning of Christmas Day, she would take the time to wrap her presents and to decorate the house further. No one ever asked her too, but she couldn't help but adore the grins of glee and admiration at the sight of the gold flowers she would place around the living room.

It was a spell her mother taught her from a young age. One that required a single drop of Selwyn blood, her mothers maiden family, to cast it. The flowers were unique and different like no other, they used to grace the halls of Auroras childhood home but due to the absence of herself and brothers they no longer grew.

Carefully taking a single pin she pricked the very tip of her finger, delicately she applied the single bead of crimson to the end of her wand. She murmured the enchantment, watching in amazement as the single drop of her blood turned a reflective gold before expanding and weaving itself into an admirable hibiscus plant.

Her favourite flower.

Enchanting rows upon rows of hibiscus over the fire place, along the walls and in the vases, Aurora admired the sea of green leaves and gold, mixing well with the red and green already decorating the dark room.

A lazy chuckle came from behind her. Jumping in her place she shot round to Sirius. His often styled scruffy bed hair, and stubble were particularly more messy than usual. He clearly hadn't prepared for the day yet, understandable when it was two in the morning.

He wore a set of maroon striped pyjamas, matching slippers in colour. Aurora was initially surprised at the sight of this man in his pjs, only to realise that she too wore her own. Grinning sheepishly in mild embarrassment she turned back and continued her work.

"Happy Christmas Sirius." She cheerily sung.

"Happy Christmas Rory." He replied shaking his head whilst wearing the laziest, cheeriest grin he could possibly muster. "I went to school with your mother." She turned around to face him, she payed attention to how he softly nestled a single petal with the palm of his hand as though he feared it may snap. "Ever since her first year she always decorated the common room with these flowers. She called it the -"

She smiled sombrely. "The golden mistletoe." She never accepted actual mistletoe, but Aurora always admired how her father would hold the glossy flower over their heads and in return would receive a swift peck as if that was the only way he could her receive a kiss from his own wife.

Aurora particularly loved how her and her brothers would respond to the display of affection. "Eww." Or "gross." Being the most common reaction. Aurora actually loved it when her parents would express their love, she only ever faked disgust when her brothers were around, a way to win their approval of sorts.

Sirius grinned, nodding slowly. "That she did."

Continuing with her work, the scruffy man remained leant against the wall watching her work, the silence was welcomed by the two, it was natural, that's what made it so obvious when it wasn't.

"You have something on your mind Rory. What is it?" She looked at him jaw slack, his observation skills were impressive she must admit, he winked back at her expression, agape mouthed, eyes wide.

"You grew up in a family of Slytherins." She gazed around the living room. It was a dark environment, due to the guests it was currently decorated and cheery for the Christmas occasion but other than that, it held an unwelcoming Aurora. The home, the portraits and most of all Regulas blacks room, which remained locked, reminded her of the house of snakes. The house of the cunning and witty, She was curious about them.