XXVII • Stern memories

Her knee ached. The throbbing sensation on her knee cap, forced a chocked sob to emit from her swollen lips. She had fallen, knee colliding into the chiseled concrete of her driveway. She collected her brothers broom that laid beside her as she stood. Stomping her foot, she slammed the magical object harshly on the gravel.

"I hate this stupid sport." She yelled into the air, no one present to witness her childish tempe tantrum. After all she was only nine.

The sound of a door flying open and slamming the wall echoed through her ears. She knew what was coming. She wasn't allowed her own broom. Not until she was eleven, it was a rule that the Flores family had cherished since her eldest brother received his first one.

She was too desperate to have a go flying the sporting object, she didn't anticipate the chance that she may fall, she had little to no experience, it shouldn't have surprised her. 

"Rory?" Three figures ran through the night fogged air. She frowned. She had been caught. Picking up her brothers broom she hid it behind her small body, it was taller than her, her mother and brothers saw it instantly, and connected the dots even quicker.

"What are you doing with my broom?" Malachi, her brother spat. Upset after watching her throw his most prized possession. He went to snatch the broom off her, but didn't make it far before he was dragged back by the eldest child there, Sebastian.

"Leave it Mal." He hushed.

Aurora looked down at her knee. When she stumbled to the ground she didn't actually  feel any pain at first. It was only until she looked down and noticed the cut did it start to ache and did the tears start to spill.

"Rora, what were you doing with your brothers broom?" Her mothers voice, like a melody, calmed Aurora, her sobs decreased.

"I wanted a go." She sniffled. Wiping away the snot that dribbled down. "It's not fair!" She yelled. Slamming her hand twice to emphasise her rage.

"Wait your go!" Malachi yelled fuming, his sister had failed to release the broom from her steel like grip. Sebastian shoved him in the rib with his elbow to quieten his brother.

"Now, Aurora how old are you?" Andreas tone became stern, yet she still managed to come off as endearing. None of the three ever understood their mothers ability to portray both anger and empathy at the same time.

"Nine." The little witch sighed, fiddling with the fabric of her shirt.

"Well you certainly aren't acting like it." The woman's eyebrows raised as her frown deepened. "Aurora, it's not okay, under any circumstances, to steal."

"I know." The little one tried.

"No. Apparently you don't." She looked down to inspect her daughters knee. "Let's get you a Band-Aid, we'll discuss this later." Using the pads of her thumb she caressed under her daughters tear stained eyes, smearing away any evidence of tears.

Standing up, she offered her daughter her hand before the four of them began their walk back inside. The children all stared up in awe at their mothers caring yet affirmative nature, it had the ability to make them all feel as loved as a child should, yet the capability to make them quaver in fear.

Her eyes shot opened. Panting for air, sweating profusely. Her chest rose and fell in a speedy rhythm, she slept believing her mother was alive, just to wake up to the cruel world were that wasn't true.

She hadn't dreamed of her mother before. Surely Aurora had experienced peculiar dreams were her mother made an entrance. But that day her dream came to her in the form of a memory. The events of that night had left the surface of Rory's mind years ago, apparently her subconscious didn't forget, for her mothers stern tone always had the capability to whip her into correct shape. She would always remember it when reminding herself to do well.