Flashbacks

Context; In my lil backstory for Tyler his mom got sick after his dad died so at 18 Tyler enlists in the marines and becomes a marine special ops sniper to try and pay for his moms medical bills

[ Tyler ]

I really fucking hate myself sometimes.

I am a weak person.

I should've just let myself give up during basic but no, I decided to push through and be a marine.

Good job Tyler, you were a fucking marine.

And what did you get?

You got trauma, and guilt, and a highly illegal job.

I hit my head against the wall and held my hands over my ears. It's just fireworks. It's just fireworks. It's just-

"Schultz, I need you to fucking focus here."

"I am fucking focused. I fucking am. Shut the fuck up unless you're giving me a green light."

Sometimes when I look through the scope the people blur just enough so I can't really see the bullet hit them.

"Green light."

I took the shot then quickly shifted the gun to take the other.

"Can we confirm both?" The commander asked.

I leaned back and stared out.

"Hey..." I mumbled as a small thing flew towards our other commanding operation. That's not... That's not our drone.

"Can we confirm?"

"Hey! Hey it's a fucking drone! There's a fucking-"

I got to the gun and lined up the shot but I wasn't quick enough to pull the trigger and had a perfect view of my friends getting blown up.

I scrambled back and the commander grabbed me. He shoved me on the ground and we both covered our heads.

"H-how do we leave now?! All our equipment! All our comms! All-"

"Tyler shut the fuck up. Look at me. Hey."

I looked up at him panting out short breaths and he stared at me.

"Take a deep breath. I need you to kill those men going in."

"Are you crazy?! That will draw attention to us!"

"Tyler. That's an order."

Y/n grabbed me and I pulled away from her. "Tyler! It's ok! It's ok!"

I shook my head and hugged her. "I could've saved them. I could've saved all of them- I should've shot sooner. Why did I leave the scope?! I could've- I-"

She caressed me and I tried to slow my breathing.

"I love you, Tyler. You're ok."

. . .

I sat at the kitchen table and stared at the whiskey in the glass. The twins get anxious when they see people drinking so I always have to do it late at night.

Especially with drinks like whiskey.

Y/n sat down with me and I looked over at her. "Your first glass?" I nodded and smiled. "Yeah... I haven't drank in forever so... I just don't wanna get tipsy with them in the house."

She nodded and rubbed my hand.

"Tyler..."

I dropped my head and pressed my lips together to hold in my sobs. "Tyler."

"I just wanted to save her. I wanted to afford the best fucking doctors. And all it got me was an extra year of taking care of a corpse."

Y/n put a hand under my chin and made me look at her. "Tyler, you did it because you're a good person. Your mom died happy."

I took a sip of the drink and looked away from her. "You're not a bad person for those things you did. You were just following orders."

I shook my head and took a deep breath.

"I wanted to save my friends."

[ Y/n ]

I don't think I've ever felt so heartbroken.

Tyler looked over at me and I swallows hard. I want to comfort him but I can't figure out the right way to do it. "I was just a kid." He whispered.

I nodded and held his hand tightly.

"I know Tyler."

He wiped his eyes and tried to calm himself down. "I don't want to sleep. I don't want to see it again."

I nodded, offering to watch movies for the rest of the night.

"We can cuddle on the couch. I'll make popcorn and we can turn on some funny movies." He smiled, kissing my fingers.

"Sure. Yeah."