Mr. Perfectly Fine - Colin Shea

"So this is it?" I asked with tears filling my eyes as he looked at the ground

"I don't see it going any other way Claire. I mean we know we have been having issues for a while and do we just go on pretending for the sake of the band?" Colin asked as we sat on the roof of our apartment building waiting for the rest of the band to show up. I got up from where I was sitting and walked to the edge of the room and looked over the city of Boston.

"Claire, I didn't want to do it this way and if I could have figured out a different way..." Colin said and I sighed.

"There were plenty of different ways Colin. I just don't understand. We have been together for 2 years, you told my family that an engagement was coming, you weren't going to go anywhere and that you loved me. Was that all a lie?" I asked.

"No! It wasn't...at the time. Things change Claire. I will always love you but I'm just not in love with you anymore." Colin said and I sighed as the tears started to fall and I was thankful my back was to him. I heard him get up from where he was. I was praying he wasn't coming over to me but I wasn't so lucky. He stepped in front of me and saw me crying and pulled me into a hug and I rested my head on his chest and cried.

"I'm sorry Claire." Colin said and I just shook my head.

"I don't want to hear a blanket apology because you think it's right Colin." I said and he groaned and I got out of his hug and wiped my tears away as I heard the door open to the roof and the rest of the band walked up.

"Hey, you both okay?" Johnny, the drummer from the band asked. I looked at Colin and groaned.

"Hey, I'm just going to rip of the band aid...um...Colin and I just broke up. It's not going to affect the band at all. I would never want it to. We were friends before the band and that's where we are going to continue to be." I said and everyone looked at each other.

"Hey, it will be fine, everything is going to be fine." Colin said.

*****2 MONTHS LATER*****

It was late one night and I couldn't sleep so I was sitting on the roof on the couch we had up there. I moved out of Colin's place but the apartment across the hall was available since I had no where else to go we figured we could be civil enough to live across the hall from each other since we were being civil to be in the band together still which was going well. I was sitting with my guitar playing some chords trying to get a song wrote but it wasn't coming to me. I jumped slightly when the door opened and I saw Colin come walking up with another blonde girl, this made 5 in 3 weeks. I lived across the hall from Colin, I saw them leaving some mornings and Colin would be standing there saying goodbye. He never seemed to care about me seeing it.

"Sorry Claire, I didn't know you were up here." Colin said and I stood up grabbing my stuff.

"The roof is yours." I said and walked down the steps from the roof to my apartment. Once I got in the apartment I sat on the couch and the lyrics just flowed out of me as some tears filled my eyes. I started then writing the music for it before I forgot the tune I had in my head. Once I was done I smile proud of me and knew it was a sense of therapy for me. I grabbed my guitar and played my melody while singing and record it on my phone so I wouldn't forget. Once I finished there was a knock on my door and I opened it to see my other neighbor Jimmy.

"Hey Jimmy, what's up?" I asked and he handed me some envelopes.

"I got some of your mail again." He said and I smiled

"Thanks again. I don't know why they keep doing this." I said and he laughed and shrugged. I looked and Saw Colin coming down from the roof with his blonde.

"Hey, I was wanting to ask if you would like to get a drink sometime?" Jimmy asked and I saw Colin stop at his apartment door and look at me, watching this interactions, hearing the invitation. I smiled at Jimmy.

"Why not dinner?" I asked and he smiled.

"Perfect. Friday at 6? I'll pick you up." Jimmy said and I nodded. He smiled and went back to his apartment. I went to shut my door to Johnny staring at me and I closed it with a smile on my face. 

🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸

A couple days the band was up on the roof and I noticed Colin invited his new girl to watch rehearsals and I was annoyed.

"Hey guys I was hoping we could try it out that new song I sent you to learn the music to." I said to the band. I had sent them their music the day after I wrote it so they could all start practicing it. They never knew the lyrics I had kept those to myself but Colin looked at me before we started playing.

"Why such a secret?" Colin asked and I shrugged.

"My own personal therapy." I said and Colin nodded, I could tell he was worried.

"Alright, let's go!" I said and the band started playing.

🎵Mr. Perfect face
Mr. Here to stay
Mr. Looked me in the eye and told me you would never go away
Everything was right
Mr. I've been waiting for you all my life
Mr. Every single day until the end, I will be by your side

But that was when I got to know Mr. Change of heart
Mr. Leaves me all alone, I fall apart
It takes everything in me just to get up each day
But it's wonderful to see that you're okay

Hello, Mr. Perfectly fine
How's your heart after breaking mine?
Mr. Always at the right place at the right time, baby
Hello Mr. Casually cruel
Mr. Everything revolves around you
I've been Ms. Misery since your goodbye
And you're Mr. Perfectly fine

Mr. Never told you why
Mr. Never had to see me cry
Mr. Insincere apology so he doesn't look like the bad guy
He goes about his day
Forgets he ever even heard my name
Well, I thought you might be different
Than the rest, I guess you're all the same

'Cause I hear he's got his arm 'round a brand-new girl
I've been picking up my heart, he's been picking up her
And I never got past what you put me through
But it's wonderful to see that it never fazed you

Hello, Mr. Perfectly fine
How's your heart after breaking mine?
Mr. Always at the right place at the right time, baby
Hello, Mr. Casually cruel
Mr. Everything revolves around you
I've been Ms. Misery since your goodbye
And you're Mr. Perfectly fine

So dignified in your well-pressed suit
So strategized, all the eyes on you
Sashay your way to your seat
It's the best seat, in the best room
Oh, he's so smug, Mr. Always wins
So far above me in every sense
So far above feeling anything

And it's really such a shame
It's such a shame
'Cause I was Ms. Here to stay
Now I'm Ms. Gonna be alright, someday
And someday, maybe you'll miss me
But by then, you'll be Mr. Too late

Goodbye, Mr. Perfectly fine
How's your heart after breaking mine?
Mr. Always at the right place at the right time, baby
Goodbye, Mr. Casually cruel
Mr. Everything revolves around you
I've been Ms. Misery for the last time
And you're Mr. Perfectly fine
You're perfectly fine
Mr. Look me in the eye and told me you would never go away
You said you'd never go away🎵

Once I finished I was smiling as was everyone in the band except for Colin.

"That was amazing Claire!" Johnny said and I smiled.

"Thank you." I said and I saw the roof door open and I saw Jimmy.

"Okay guys I have to go, I have a date." I said and they nodded since we were almost done any way.

"Have fun." Tony, our bassist said. As I was walking past Colin he grabbed my hand.

"Seriously Claire?" Colin said.

"Yor are Mr. Perfectly Fine Colin, you'll survive." I said and yanked my hand from his grip and walked to Jimmy.

"Ready?" Jimmy said.

"So ready." I said and we walked down the steps.