Blanks - Andy Barber

"I just don't get it Melinda, you've have been trying for a year

"I just don't get it Melinda, you've have been trying for a year..." My best friend Justine said as we at lunch together on a Wednesday afternoon.

"I know and it can take time." I said and she sighed.

"But didn't they get pregnant with Jacob right away when his ex-wife got pregnant?" Justine asked and I grumbled.

"Can we not mention her? I still get compared to her sometimes." I said and she shook her head.

"He doesn't actually mention her, does he?" Justine asked.

"When he doesn't realize it. He will just say something about "Laurie used to do it this way, or Laurie never would have done that." Shit like that." I said and she groaned.

"And you both have been checked?" Justine asked going back to the baby talk.

"I have, Andy has an appointment on Friday." I said and she half nodded.

"You going with him?"

"To watch him go in a cup? No, I'm good. He didn't want me to go." I said and she looked at me oddly.

"Why? He hiding something?" Justine asked and I shook my head.

"No! Just this is something you don't want your wife sitting in the waiting room for. I already sent him plenty of incentive to his phone for him to use instead of the magazines." I said and she made a gross face.

"I didn't need to know that." Justine said. We laughed as our bill was delivered to us. I looked beside Justine and saw her baby girl sleeping in her stroller. Justine and I tried to start getting pregnant around the same time a year ago and she got pregnant right away, here I was still waiting.

My doctor said I was healthy, and everything was fine but nothing yet for my husband Andy Barber and I. Andy was married before me for 16 years to Laurie, she was a piece of work that I can't even get into right now. Andy and Laurie had Jacob and they had a perfect life until it wasn't. The Barbers were thrown into a huge murder case where Jacob was the main suspect. He was proven to be innocent, but their life had already exploded. Laurie filed for divorce from Andy leaving him and Jacob to pick up the pieces. Laurie had moved to Colorado, but Jacob and Andy stayed in Newton. Good thing they did, about a year and half ago, right after the trial I had been grocery shopping and when I came out of the store, I had a flat tire, stupid glass bottles. As I was trying to find a tow truck number Andy came out of the store and even in his business suit straight from a day in court as Newton's ADA, he changed my flat for me, I offered to get him a cup of coffee and the rest of history. We were married withing 5 months later and here we are.

We said our goodbyes once lunch was over and I headed to the high school to pick up Jacob.

"Hey bud, how was school?" I asked and he smiled at me.

"Good, I got my report card today..." He said and handed it to me.

"Jake! Straight A's that's amazing!" I said and hugged him.

Jacob and I hit it off right away when Andy and I got together. He was a great kid, and I didn't know how anyone could have thought he did such a heinous act. When Andy and I got married and Laurie was gone Jacob was a whole different kid. We transferred him from his old high school, too many memories and people still talking.

"Yeah, Dad promised if I got straight A's we could maybe get that pizza place I love tonight." Jacob said.

"Well, I will call him when we get home, and he can pick it up on the way home. You deserve it." I said. I continued the drive home, to our new home. I refused to live and love where Andy had once done with Laurie, so he agreed to move to a house that was all ours.

◼ ◼ ◼

Later that night after dinner Andy and I were getting ready for bed. I was standing at the sink washing my face as Andy was stepping out of the shower and I watched him in the mirror as he wrapped himself in a towel.

"You're ogling me..." Andy trailed off and I smiled.

"You're my husband, I'm allowed." I said as I walked over to him and gave him a passionate kiss. Andy lifted me up and carried me to the sink counter, quickly removing his towel and started to move my panties off to the side.

"No Andy...we can't..." I said pushing him away no matter how much it pained me to do so.

"Why not?" Andy growled.

"Because you know what the doctor said. No sexual activity for 48 hours before your appointment. They want to make sure they get an uncompromised sample." I said and Andy groaned.

"Damnit Mel, I wish you would just let this go. Would it be the end of the world if we didn't have another kid?" Andy asked and I just looked at him. He grabbed his towel wrapping it around him again.

"Not the end of the world but I have always wanted to be a Mother Andy, you knew that!" I said.

"And you are, to Jake." Andy stated.

"Jacob is a great kid and a great bonus son I got in the marriage, but I thought we could have a little Barber of our own." I said.

"I just don't think I can do it again..." Andy said, and I sighed. I sat on the bed watching Andy get ready for bed.

"Is that what this is all about? You don't think you can do it again? Andy come on it's not like you're a dinosaur." I said and he huffed a laugh.

"Mel, it's not that..."

"Then what Andy? If you're so sure there isn't a problem, then why am I not getting pregnant?!" I asked walking into the closet with him while he changed.

"You aren't getting pregnant because right before the trial started for Jake, everything was out of whack, and I didn't want to have another slip with Laurie, so I went and had a vasectomy." Andy said.

Gut punch, that was the only way I could describe what he just said to me.

"You what?" I asked.

"I had a vasectomy...Laurie and I -..."

"Oh, for fucks sake Andy! Shut up about Laurie! She is gone, you're married to me! You made this decision and never told me! You made it before me yes but when I started talking about kids you should have told me this! You should have been upfront instead of letting me be here for a year, thinking it was a chance, putting myself through the pills, the shots, the appointments...everything! Just so you can sit here and tell me it was never a chance! Just so you can sit there and shoot blanks and think I don't have the right to know?!" I yelled and Andy just hung his head.

"Mel, I always wanted to tell you but as we got deeper and deeper into this...it got harder." Andy said and I just felt the tear pool in my eyes.

We were silent, the closet had never been this quiet before...

"I have to go, I can't be here right now." I said and started grabbing some clothes and a bag.

"Mel, hang on." Andy said placing a hand on my arm and I yanked away from him.

"I need to go Andy! I can't even stand to look at you right now! Our whole marriage has been a lie! I need time!" I yelled. He just placed his hands on his hips as I finished packing. I put on my tennis shoes that were in the room. I left the room and headed down the stairs grabbing my car keys.

"What should I tell Jacob when he gets up and you aren't here in the morning?" Andy asked.

"Tell him the truth, you lied, and I left." I said opening the front door and walked out. Andy watched me get in my car and leave from the front door knowing he just let the only shining light of his life since the trial and Laurie walk out...

All because he lied.