Exile - Hayden (Harvard Hottie)

**HAYDEN POV**

**HAYDEN POV**

I walked into the party and looked around. I knew she would be here, I didn't want to do this. The first big society party in a year that I have now attended. I knew she would be here; this was a big cause she always stood behind. We used to attend this party together when we were together but here, I was now arriving solo.

I walked to the bar and knew I would spend most of the night stationed here, I didn't care to be seen or even mingling with anyone. I knew my parents would be looking for me, wanting to set me with another woman from our society but I wasn't interested. I had one woman I wanted, and she didn't want me. Truth was, I shouldn't want her. We were toxic to each other, we weren't good for each other.

I would give anything to go back, she never gave any signs she was wanting to leave or that she wanted out. I couldn't read her mind and I didn't know where she was in our relationship, if I had known I maybe could have done something to change whatever it was whether we were good together or not. It seemed like it just took her 5 minutes to pack up everything from our life together and be gone. She left me there holding everything.

I finished off my first drink and was already working on my second when I heard it, that familiar sound, a sound a didn't hear near the end of us together. Where was it? Was it my brain playing a cruel joke on me and just recalling things from my past. I scanned the room, and I didn't see anything. I sighed and took a swig of my drink. I heard it again...she was here but where.

I looked across the room and there she was, standing with a group of people but there was a man who had his arm low around her waist. She is laughing at something he is saying but now seeing her I can tell that whatever he is saying isn't that funny. I didn't like him touching her, I wanted to rush over and take his hand off of her and keep him away from her. I took one step and then stopped. She wasn't my homeland anymore, she wasn't mine to defend anymore. I didn't know how to explain to how I was feeling seeing her, what was this feeling? I didn't belong here in life or even in this society anymore. I felt like I was in exile being here and being around her. I knew how tonight would play out, I had seen this film before.

**LANA POV**

I was standing in my group of friends, with my new boyfriend scanning the room ever so often.

"Who are you looking for?" My friend Aimee, in my group, asked.

"What? No one." I said she shook her head.

"You think he would come?" Kylee asked and I just shrugged. I looked up at my boyfriend and smiled knowing he was the one I was there with. He leaned down and gave me a small kiss to my cheek as he snaked his arm around my waist, staking his claim it seemed like.

"Either way you look at it, whether he shows up or not he has no leg to stand on and he should just be exiled." My boyfriend said.

"Don't want him exiled...listen let's not talk about him." I said and everyone nodded in agreement.

The conversation continued to flow and I listened, but I was now still subtle scanning the room.

My eyes locked on him, he was at the bar, asking for another drink. I should have figured that would be where he was.

I could see him staring at me, he was watching my every move. He wasn't just looking at me, he was watching my date, who was also my boyfriend, my new boyfriend of only a few months. We had been set up by mutual friends and just clicked. Not clicked as well as Hayden and me but well enough. Hayden was looking at my boyfriend like he was just a placeholder or understudy for him...

Hayden was looking at my new boyfriend like he wanted to pound in his face and get his knuckles bloody for me. The problem was I had given Hayden hundreds of chances to make things right between us and to work things out, but we were always walking on breaking branches, and we were bound and determined to fall and get hurt, and we did. I was still making eye contact with him and the look I was getting from him was just adding insult to the injury my heart was still trying to recover from with breaking up with him.

I wasn't his anymore, his life, his love or even his problem. He was my crown, he was my everything and now he was my nothing. Yet he was looking at me like I was offending him by being at the function or like he couldn't believe I was even still in the same city and state he was. Did I like seeing him out and only hanging out at the bar to get over me, no, it actually made me feel bad for him, put my own emotions in exile knowing I was the reason he was acting this way.

I looked away from Hayden and felt like I couldn't breathe. I needed some air. I looked up at my boyfriend and smiled.

"I need to get some air, I'll be right back." I said and went to walk away, and he gently grabbed my hand.

"You want company?" He asked and I shook my head.

"No, I'll be okay." I smiled sweetly and continued towards the side door.

I was standing on a balcony that was closed off to the party, but I knew how to get here without anyone seeing.

"Ran out the side door I see..." I heard a voice say behind me and it sent a chill down my spine.

"I just needed some air." I stated not turning around.

"Was that all or did you have to get as far away from me as possible?" Hayden asked.

"Which didn't work since you followed." I slightly turned my head.

"Well, I wasn't sure what you wanted Lana I mean I always had to walk a thin line with you." Hayden said and I groaned.

"Never wanted you to walk a thin line, Hayden."

"You never said it out loud, I couldn't read your mind."

"You never did learn how to read my mind..." I said with a hint of sarcasm. "Although with everything that happened you never tried to turn things around." I continued.

"You never spoke up on what you wanted." Hayden said.

"You never heard me out Hayden! I told you all the time what I wanted! I wanted a life, a home, a husband, the kids! Just to name a few things..." I confessed.

"Then you left, you never gave any sign you were leaving." Hayden looking at the ground as he spoke.

"I gave so many signs! So many." I said.

There was silence and Hayden just gave a small nod.

"I don't know why I'm here trying to defend myself, you're not my homeland anymore." Hayden said.

I sighed, "You used to be my town Hayden, my everything. But now...I'll just deal with the exile I feel by seeing you out." I stated.

"Lana? You okay?" I heard my boyfriends voice asking coming out to the balcony. I gave a small smile.

"I'm going back Hayden." I said and went to walk by him.

"Just like the last society event we were at. I think I've seen this film before, you walking out on me." Hayden said.

"Hayden..."

"Let me show you how it looks." Hayden said and walked out the side entrance off the balcony that I knew would lead him to an exit. He was gone, out of my life.

Or was he...