Angel Eyes - Ransom Drysdale

I walked in to the Thrombey house with my head held high, I had every right to be here

I walked in to the Thrombey house with my head held high, I had every right to be here. There was a celebration for Harlan Thrombey's publishing company Blood Like Wine. I had published a few books through the company, and this was a party to celebrate the company being around for 50 years. Once I walked in, I saw people flooding every room and knew it would be very easy to disappear into a corner and not have to interact with anyone, especially the family.

"Valentina? Is that you?!" I heard the shrill voice ask from the front sitting room and I groaned. I took a deep breath and turned around with the best fake smile I could muster.

"Joni! Hey! It's so good to see you." I said smiling as she hugged me and then pulled me back and looked at me.

"You look like a knockout! Ransom will eat you up tonight." Joni said. Ransom was Joni's nephew by marriage and my ex-boyfriend of 5 years.

"Joni, you know Ransom and I have been over for about 2 months now

"Joni, you know Ransom and I have been over for about 2 months now." I said and she sighed.

"Sweetie, he still wants you." Joni said and I looked past her and saw him...with another girl and they were all over each other.

"Yeah, looks like it." I said pointing to Ransom and his new floozy. "Excuse me." I said and walked away from Joni and found the bar.

"Whiskey neat please." I said and the bartender nodded.

"Going hard already. You must have seen." I heard a voice say and I smiled and saw Harlan standing there and we hugged.

"Well yeah and Joni saw me the minute I walked in." I said and Harlan chuckled.

"Bartender, make hers a double. She needs it." Harlan said and I smiled. "Honestly though, it's been what 2 months? How are you?" Harlan asked and I sighed as I was handed my drink.

"Sometimes when I'm lonely, I sit and think about him and it hurts to remember all the good times. When I thought I could never live without him and I wonder does it have to be the same. Every time when I see him, will it bring back all the pain. Why can't I just forget that name?" I said and Harlan placed a hand on my back and I sighed.