Taking the Reigns - Chris Evans

"Come on dad why?!" I asked while standing in the office of the house that was on our family-owned farm

"Blake, it was my decision." My dad, Wade said and I groaned and started pacing.

"Dad, come on be reasonable....." I said and he held up his hand cutting me off.

"I am being reasonable. He is coming here and that is that." Wade said.

"Right because talking with the family about something on the family farm never crossed your mind?! What did Mama say about this?" I asked.

"I'm all for this Liana, you need to be too. He is coming here and that's all there is to it." My mom Roxanne said and I groaned.

"How did they even hear about us?" I asked.

"I guess his manager was at that horse show you went to last and took Jewel, everyone talked so highly of you. They knew they needed the farm so they found our contact info." I groaned and went to storm out of the house.

"Don't stomp young lady!" Roxanne said and I sighed and rushed out of the house to the barn. I walked to my horse Jewel's stale.

"Hey girl." I said and started to pet down her nose.

"She has been missing you today." I heard a voice say and I sighed looked at the one farm hand Hunter. He was a few years older than me and always had a job on my parents farm since we were teenagers. We had dated briefly in high school but it didn't work out but that didn't mean we still didn't hang out.

"Yeah well after today I needed her." I said and he sighed.

"So your dad finally told you?" Hunter said and I groaned.

"Did everyone know?!" I asked pissed and he sighed with a shrug.

"I did. Your dad told me yesterday I think because he knew it would piss you off and I could talk you down." Hunter said and I laughed as he did.

"Hunter, you are a great friend, can you be honest with me for one second?" I asked and he huffed a laugh.

"I think I'm more than a great friend Liana, you slept in my bed 2 nights ago." Hunter said and I shoved him as we laughed.

"And you need to shut up about that. So we sleep together, not the first time and you know it's not the last..." I said and he smiled and winked at me and I rolled my eyes.

"Any ways, can you be honest with me for a minute?" I re-asked my question.

"Of course." Hunter said.

"Is the farm in trouble?" I asked and he sighed and looked at the ground.

"Hunter?" I asked.

"I haven't heard for sure. I know your mama and dad were talking the other day when I walked into the kitchen and I heard something about if the crops can't do well and you don't at least place at nationals in a few months we might have some problems. Now I know this guys coming here isn't ideal but he is paying your parents to stay and work. It's for some movie role but we are allowed to work him." Hunter said and I placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Have fun with that." I said and he groaned. "He gets here soon right?" I asked and Hunter nodded.

"Yeah, like 2 hours." Hunter said and I smiled and grabbed my saddle.

"Where are you going?" Hunter asked and helped me saddle up Jewel.

"Out to the trail, maybe run her a little. We got to get ready for barrel racing and she needs speed." I said and Hunter nodded.

"You want company?" Hunter said and I shook my head.

"No, I want to be alone." I said and then looked back towards the house.

"Don't tell them I went out. I mean I'm sure they'll figure it out but I don't care to be here when Mr. Hollywood shows up." I said and Hunter nodded as I walked Jewel out of the barn and then I mounted her.

"Be safe." Hunter said placed a hand on my knee.

"Always." I said and he smiled.

"Let's go!" I yelled and kicked Jewel and she took off like a shot and I got her to go towards the trail. As we went running a trail her and I had made ourselves over the years my head was reeling about this guy coming to my farm. I didn't want him here, he was going to come and not want to really do anything. This was my families lively hood. We took the trail to my private oasis. It was a field of wildflowers I had planted with my grandmother when I was a kid but I never brought anyone here, even mom and dad. This was my place that I came to think and talk to grandma.

"Hey Nana." I said sitting down on the small stump that was there.

"So mom and dad haven't been truthful with me and I don't know what to do. They are having problems with the farm and I just want to help but now they are opening the farm to Hollywood actors to come and learn about farming for a role in a movie or something. I don't like it Nana, not at all." I said and then I chuckled. "I know you want to hit me right now and tell me everyone is only human to be nice to this person and I promise I will try but I'm not making guaranteeing I can follow through." I said and smiled. I stood up after sitting a little while longer.

"Okay I have to go run Jewel some more, have nationals soon. I love you." I said looking out over the flowers and walked back to Jewel, got on and finished the trail. As I was headed back to the barn I could tell he was there already by black SUV in the driveway. I didn't see them but as I rode Jewel fast up to the barn I had to rear her back as people came walking out.

"Liana!" Wade said and I groaned.

"Sorry dad, I was going to take her around the barn once. See my time." I said and I saw him standing there. I knew who he was and now this was even worse. Hunter looked at me from behind him and gave me a look knowing I had a crush on this guy for so long. Wade got his watch ready.

"Get her set." Wade said and I got her set to the corner of the barn. "What was your best time?" Wade asked and I thought about it.

"45 seconds." I said and he groaned.

"Okay you know what to beat.....GO!" Wade yelled and I kicked Jewel. We rushed around the barn and stopped in front of everyone.

"50." Wade said and I groaned and dismounted from Jewel.

"Don't get discouraged." Hunter said and placed a hand on my shoulder and I shrugged him off. I led Jewel into her stale, gave her water and some oats after taking the saddle off. As I turned I saw Wade, Roxanne and the guest standing there.

"Liana, this is Chris Evans, Chris Evans this is our daughter Lian and the person you will be following around while you are here." Wade said.

"WHAT?!" I yelled.