Hunted - Lloyd Hansen

**THIS IS NOW A FULL-LENGTH STORY BY THE SAME NAME**

"Mavis, is dinner ready yet? They will be here any minute!" My husband Denny said coming into the kitchen as I rushed around trying to finish.

"I have the side dishes and appetizers done. This roast is taking forever." I said panicking. Denny growled and walked up to me stopping me from rushing around. He gripped my chin tightly.

"I told you to start earlier." Denny said.

"You were the one who wouldn't let me start Denny. You didn't want me out of bed or out from under you." I said. He grimaced at me and smacked me hard across the face. I heard the crack then a ringing in my ear.

"If you can't perform your wifely duties to me in the bedroom and cook for a dinner party why did I marry you and keep you around?" Denny asked. I didn't answer him fighting off tears. He smacked me again on the other cheek.

Before I could say anything, the doorbell rang. Denny looked at me trying not to cry.

"Get you shit together, compose yourself and keep cooking. I don't want you out of this kitchen until the food is done." Denny said. He then gripped my chin again and roughly kissed me. Denny walked to get the door and started breathing hard trying to compose myself.

I was used to this side of Denny. He didn't show it in college when we met at Harvard, and he didn't show it while we dated. It wasn't until we got married did his true colors start to show.

I heard the door open and Denny talking to two people they came in.

"Where is that worker wife of yours? She finally wise up and leave you?" I heard a female voice ask. I knew it was Suzanne. I gave a small smile.

"She is in the kitchen, knowing her place. Like you should." Denny said and she groaned.

"I'll just go say hello." Suzanne said.

"Don't bug her. Dinner isn't ready because if her. She will end up paying the consequences if it's not ready soon. Let's go in the living room and get a drink." Denny said.

I heard them all just talking in the kitchen as the oven timer went off. I pulled the roast out and smiled when it was done. I started getting everything ready and placing it on the dinner room table. Once everything was set, I walked to the living room.,

"Mav...what did I say about coming out?" Denny said and I start shaking.

"I just wanted to tell you dinner is on the table and ready. The roast just needs carved." I said in a small voice. I looked at the floor not making eye contact. Denny clapped his hands together in a loud smack making me jump slightly.

"Let's eat!" Denny announced. Suzanne walked past me first, placed a hand on my arm and gently squeezed, I gave her a small smile. The other dinner guest was Lloyd Hansen and when he walked past me, he gripped my chin.