One Year - Colin Shea

A/N: THIS HAS POTENTIAL FOR A FULL STORY, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED

It had been a year, the year she asked for. He didn't want to give her the year and there were plenty of times he almost went to find her in New York, to tell her he was an idiot, and she was all he wanted. Yet here he sat at her parents' house waiting for her to walk through the door.

A door to a party for her, a welcome home party and if the day was going to play out like he wanted, a celebration for the ages.

"You nervous?" Rose, his sister asked and Colin shook his head.

"No, I know this is the right move."

"It's been a year Colin." Rose said.

"Trust me I know how long it's been. I know I was the idiot to not go with her and I know this is my mess to clean up." Colin said and Rose sighed.

"Colin, you know there is a chance she will turn you down. She may have grown up, grown away from you and just wants to be alone." Rose said.

"And I have to make her see that it's the wrong choice to make! I still love her Rose and she will always be my forever. I know I have a lot to make up for but if she gives me that chance, I will take whatever she gives me." Colin said and Rose just sighed and wrapped Colin in a hug.

"I hope you're right Colin." Rose said and walked away to go mingle with some friends that were at the party.

Colin was pacing, it had been an hour since Maxi called and said she was almost there. Where could she have been, what was taking so long? Colin had worked himself up to do what he needed to do and as the minutes ticked on his nerve sank in more and more.

Colin was sitting outside on the back deck speaking with his parents when he heard people talking inside the house excitedly and saying her name.

"Hey Maxi!"

"Welcome home Maxi!"

"We missed you sweetie!"

"How's New York? How's art school?"

She was here and he was ready. As the questions from people got closer to the outside he looked in the door and he could see her, almost floating through the crowd, floating to him, like a vision. She was smiling, a very different look on her face than the last time her saw her when she got on the train to go to New York for school leaving Colin behind when he announced he was going to pursue his music and not go to school with her.

Soon she was standing in front of him and he knew he needed to speak, until she opened her mouth in shock upon seeing him.

"Colin?! What are you doing here?" I asked seeing him and he looked at me oddly.

"Why wouldn't I be here? Our parents are throwing this thing together. Start of the summer bash, like always." Colin said.

"I thought you would have been out on tour or something. You know with the band you dropped me for and changed all the plans for." I said and Colin groaned.

"Maxi, can we talk? Somewhere private...?" Colin asked and I shook my head.

"No Colin, nothing you have to say to me right now will change what you did." I said.

"I'm not trying to change it because I know I screwed up. What I'm trying to do is make it better and make this right." Colin said and I groaned.

Colin saw tears well in my eyes as I looked at the ground. He never wanted to upset me or make me cry.

"Colin, it's too much okay. I know I said a year and here we are at a year but I think you need to know, I have changed in this year apart." I said and Colin sighed.

"I'm willing to stick by your side now though all the changes, I can learn about what you have been up to. Whatever you need, whatever you do Maxi, I just want to do it with you. I want to be by your side." Colin said and took both my hands.

I couldn't deny the electric jolt I felt when he grabbed my hands again. We had been here before, we had played this game. All through high school whenever he took my hand, I always felt this jolt, it was Colin and Maxi...high school sweethearts. Everyone had Colin and I getting married soon after graduation. They weren't sure if it would be before we left for school in New York or not but they knew it would happen.

Then Colin dropped the biggest bomb 4 weeks before they were supposed to leave. The apartment had been paid for, a year in advance, boxes had been packed up and ready to ship. That was until Colin announced he was deciding not to go to college or even New York with me. He and his band were going to go on a local bar tour and see if they could make anything of themselves.

I was left alone to go to New York. I wasn't going to know anyone, and I was going to be left alone. When my concerns were voiced to Colin, he told me I was strong, and I would make it on my own. The night before I left Colin told me he loved me, I told him I was having a hard time believing that. I then asked for one year, I wanted time to not worry or even think about Colin Shea, I wanted time to figure out who Maxine Berman was with him.

I took both my hands from his hold and just put my behind my back.

"Colin, I asked for a year..." I trailed off.

"And it's been a year! I gave you that no matter how much I wanted to come New York and find you but respected your wishes." Colin said.

"Thank you for doing that but Colin, there is something you need to know..." I trailed off.

"What?!" Colin asked upset as someone came walking up to us and placed his arm low around my waist, resting his hand on my hip and I smiled up at him.

"Colin, this is Wyatt...my fiancé."