Christmas Tree Farm - Frank Adler

I was wondering the lot with my best friend Lexa looking for the most perfect Christmas tree I could find

I was wondering the lot with my best friend Lexa looking for the most perfect Christmas tree I could find. It was my first Christmas in Boston away from my family. At least I was someplace where I could have a white Christmas now.

"Can you just pick a tree, and we go. I'm practically frozen." Lexa said and I groaned as I was looking through some of the trees.

"I told you that you didn't have to come." I said in a sing song voice.

"And if I didn't come with you after work you would have been stuck carrying this thing from the car to your apartment by yourself." Lexa said.

"I could have asked someone to tell me if I needed it, but I don't." I said and she sighed.

"Fine, I'm going to get us some hot chocolate." Lexa said and waved away as I waved her off. I didn't even care anymore. I would bound and determined to find the perfect tree for the new perfect apartment and finish off the not so perfect year.

I moved to Boston to get away from a very cliche and overdone reason, a man. A man was the reason I left my hometown and came here to start a new life. That man hurt me, and I just needed to be away.

I was searching and was determined I would find the perfect tree. Everyone at work, including Lexa told me this was where she found the perfect trees for them so mine had to be there.

I walked a few aisles and didn't find anything. I was starting to think it was hopeless. As I rounded the last corner to go on the last aisle I saw it, standing there, in the center of the aisle, just perfect. I rushed to the tree and went to grab the tag from it, but I was met by someone else's hand grabbing it as well. I looked around the tree and saw a man standing there with a little girl who looked to be about 7.

"Sorry...um...I was going to get this tree." I said and he nodded.

"Yeah, so were we. My niece just picked this one out." He said and I sighed looked at the little girl and back to the guy.

"I understand that, but I have been all over this lot looking for the perfect tree and this is the perfect tree." I said and he nodded.

"Which is why we want it..."

I groaned and looked around. There was nothing like this tree anywhere on this lot. I looked back at the little girl who was watching this interaction between her uncle and me.

"Celeste, you find a tree finally?" Lexa asked coming around the corner and saw me standing with the guys. "A tree and a man...nice." Lexa said and I groaned shaking my head as she handed me my hot chocolate.

"Not like that Lexa, we found the tree at the same time." I said.

"And now my Uncle Frank won't give it up because it's what I want." The little girl said, and I sighed.

"She always gets her way?" I asked Frank and he nodded.

"I sighed and crouched down to her level and smiled.