xi. a matter of time

Chapter 11 | Know Thy Enemy

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Heartbreak and Pain.

The Feeling as if you had been physically stabbed in the heart over and over again. The only thing you can do about it is cry until the tears stop and run out. Everything then becomes numb and that numbness is all you're left with. Except for the small pang of hurt that never truly fades away.

  Something that was not a rare thing in the life of Miralette Emberson. Since she was a teenager she was surrounded by it.

  Mira grew to live with it and eventually the feeling of being numb and lonely turned her cold and vicious. Shutting off her human feelings was all she wanted, but she would never flip the small switch that turned her emotions off like a light, no matter how many times the voice in her head screamed for her to do so. She believed it was the coward's way out.

  There was a time when she was once an innocent child playing and practicing magic with her older brother. When a family of seven — soon to be eight — moved into her village.

  Despite it being perfect in the beginning, eventually things slowly fell apart.

The first time Mimi realised things weren't alway perfect was when her first friend turned on her, Tatia Petrova turned out to be the opposite of who Mimi thought she was. She was just a self-centred person who for some reason took it out on Mimi because of jealousy.

  Than there was Mira's mother, Evelyn. As a child her mom meant everything to her — even though she was very much a daddy's girl — she loved Evelyn deeply. It was her mother of course she did. Their bond was unbreakable, or so Mimi thought.

  Esther Mikaelson seemed to think otherwise. As the two mothers grew closer, Evelyn became more distant with both her children. When Mira would see her mother looking at her, she no longer saw love and adoration but instead it was a mix of anger, annoyance and maybe even envy.

  Her mother started to become cruel, mentally and emotionally abusing her. Destroying any hope Mimi had for her. That was trauma Mimi would never be able to forget to this day.

  Then when Hendrik died, Mira felt a piece of her pure heart turn dark. He was her little brother and just like that he was the first to slip between her fingers causing him to be out of reach and gone forever. She also knew from that moment things would never be the same.

  The whole ordeal caused a shift in the behaviour of the Mikaelson family. They wouldn't talk to anyone or even leave their house. Mira would only sometimes see Evelyn whispering in secret with Esther or Mikael, but their kids were nowhere to be seen.