xxiv. back from the dead

Chapter 24 | her new life

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

When Miralette was young, she adored her mother. The woman was everything to her. She was the perfect example of what a mother should be. She nurtured Mimi, taught her, dressed her, fought for her, held her and loved her unconditionally.

But everything began to change when the Mikaelson family moved into their village and Evelyn befriended Esther.

The difference in her mother didn't happen overnight. It gradually happened more and more over time. At first it was little things until it became so much bigger. The first time Mimi had ever been scared of her mother — the first time Evelyn acted out at her daughter was when Miralette was all but 12.

Mimi had her magic since the age of six, that was when she first tapped into it. Evelyn had been thrilled at the time to be able to teach her daughter magic. Only she stopped helping her when she was 11. Mimi's father had his magic, being a warlock and all, but he didn't practice it often, that was why teaching was left to Evelyn.

When Mimi was twelve she stole her mothers grimoire, wanting to practice. Evelyn quickly realised this and found her daughter with it, she was extremely angry. More furious than Mimi had ever seen and to say it terrified the young girl would be an understatement. She had never been spoken to by her mother in such a way. Evelyn never cared when Mimi used her grimoire before and she had no idea why this time was different.

At 13, Evelyn had caught her daughter wielding a sword as she messed around with her brother, Kol and Niklaus. This led to the woman dragging her away from them as she reprimanded her for it. This day was the first time Miralette talked back to her mother. She didn't just take it for once and that only fuelled Evelyn's fury. And for the first time, Evelyn had hit her daughter, striking her across the face.

And as Mimi held her cheek whilst she stared at her mother with tears in her eyes, they both looked in disbelief at what the woman had done. This was the day a young girl felt hated by the very person that was suppose to love her more than anything.

But in Evelyn's eyes, she did not mean to hate her, or maybe she didn't even know she did at the time. Though it came to be that it was never hate that Evelyn Delgado held for her youngest child and only daughter, it was resentment and jealousy. That was all thanks to Esther Mikaelson. Unfortunately those two feelings are far uglier then hate could ever be.

Mimi hid it from everyone. Not even her father or brother knew that her mother would some times use physical abuse on her when she didn't do something to Evelyn's liking. In all fairness they hardly knew how bad the verbal abuse was. This went on for six years. She kept her mouth shut, taking what she started to believe she deserved. She often found herself staring into her mothers eyes, hoping to find the warmth and love that they held when she was a child, but all she would find was just a dark and cold storm swirling in them. A storm Mimi felt she created.