xviii. a ruthless duo

Chapter 18 | The Birthday

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  "Rudy!" A blonde female called out as she walked out of her house. "Rudy," she whistled. "Come on! It's too hot to make me come looking for you." "She bent down to pick up a toy and when she turned around Klaus and Mira suddenly stood behind her.

  "I'm so sorry. We didn't mean to scare you," Klaus apologised in a fake American accent. Mira side eyed him while biting her cheek to refrain from laughing at how horrible it was.

  "Can I help you?" The woman asked.

  "Yeah, our uh, our car ran out of gas a couple of miles back. I feel like we've been walking forever, yours is the first house we came to so we were just hoping we could use your phone?" Klaus replied politely.

  "Don't either of you have a cell phone?" The woman was apprehensive in the presence of the two.

  "Yeah," Mimi smiled innocently as she pulled out her phone from her back pocket, "but the batteries died." She showed her the turned off phone, her fake American accent being much more convincing.

  "I promise we're not a serial killer, we just wanna use your phone," Klaus reassured. Mira was really struggling not to laugh at that one.

  The young woman sighed, "Sure."

  "So, we can come in?" The male hybrid stepped forward with a hopeful gaze.

  "No," she shut down the idea, "I'll get the phone and I'll bring it out to you."

  Mimi rolled her eyes, dropping the nice facade, "Don't they say country folk were supposed to be trusting?"

The woman gave her a smirk, "I'm from Florida."

  "Well, that explains it," Klaus' real accent came back as he shared a look with Mimi before he grabbed the woman by the throat and compelled her. "Now show me a little southern hospitality. Sweet pea."

  "I bet you a hundred dollars that dog ran off to a house with air conditioning," a curly haired woman mused only to turn around and see her scared friend accompanied by Klaus and Mira. "What's going on?"

  "Don't be alarmed, darling. We were told Ray Sutton lives here," Mimi said, sweetly.

"He's almost never here. He's on the road mostly," the woman replied.

  "But I expect he makes it home, once a month," neither of the girls said a thing much to Klaus' amusement, "That's what I thought. Where is he now?"