xx. chicago's a magical place

Chapter 20 | The End of the Affair

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Flashback; 995 A.D

A blonde 7 year old girl was sitting against a tree all alone. She had her knees pulled to her chest and tear stains coating her cheeks as she stared at the ground unaware of her surroundings.

"Rebekah?" A soft soothing voice called out to her causing her to look up. Miralette stood in front of her with a concerned expression, "what's wrong?"

Rebekah sniffed as she let out a fake giggle, "nothing, nothing. I am fine."

Mimi slowly sat down next to her, not letting her worried gaze falter, "clearly not. What is the matter beks?" The blonde didn't reply as she avoided eye contact. Mimi gently rested her hand on top of hers, "you can tell me, Rebekah. You know that."

"Mother and father were yelling again," Rebekah mumbled so lowly that Mimi almost missed it.

The brunette couldn't help but sigh, this wasn't the first time she had found an upset Mikaelson sibling because their parents were arguing or Mikael had scared them. She had an effect on them all, just her presence soothed them from their fears.

It was rather humorous considering anytime the Mikaelson and Emberson families came together for dinner they acted as if everything was perfect, as if they were the happiest family in the world. Mikael made Mimi sick knowing everything he does to his children - to Nik - behind closed doors. Her father acted nothing like him, if anything Mikael reminded her more of her mother.

"They were arguing over Niklaus again," Rebekah added when Mimi stayed silent, lost in thought.

Miralette wanted to ask what had happened to start the argument or if Nik was alright but for now she had to focus on the younger girl who was currently sobbing again. Mimi wasted no time in pulling the girl into her arms letting Rebekah rest her head on her lap.

"He is so scary," Rebekah cried, speaking of her cruel father.

Mimi hated seeing the girl cry. It had to be one of the most heartbreaking things she had to witness. Rebekah was so young, caring, innocent and full of love. Mimi had a constant urge to protect the girl from everything. Rebekah was only two years younger than Miralette but the Emberson girl still saw her like as a baby sister.

"You do not have to fear him, Rebekah," Mimi whispered, trying to soothe the girl. "I will always do whatever I can to protect you from him."