Eyes Like The Water

Scott stumbled in a few minutes later, he was smiling but it was an uncomfortable nervous smile. Isaac didn't want to pry, seeing as he went to some dark places last time, so this time he just smiled softly and kept working. Scott just smiled back and went to work.

It was a quiet day, things moved slowly, and Isaac ended up going next door to buy the hand soap that Liam forgot about. When he came back in, bag in hand, he saw Deaton and Scott standing close together through the window, they were talking but when he opened the door, Scott's head shot up and he stopped, nervously walking into the back room.

"Uh, is everything okay, he seems... jumpy." Isaac asked Deaton.

"He's alright, just nervous about some things, don't worry about it," Deaton said, his voice sounding honest. "You can leave early if you'd like, no use hanging around here waiting for nothing to happen, and don't worry I'll pay you for your time anyway."

"Oh alright," Isaac went in the back to get his bag, Scott was leaning against the counter biting at his fingernails, "Hey, I'm heading out early, I'll see you tomorrow." Scott nodded but looked as though he wanted to say something.

Isaac slipped his bag over his shoulder and went to push the door open when he finally spoke.

"Hey, can I ask you a weird favor?" Isaac looked at him urging him to continue. "It's uh, the dog you mentioned yesterday, I was, uh, talking to a friend of mine, they said their uncle lost a dog a few nights ago, big, black and white, do you think I could bring him over to your house, so we could check the wood see if he's there, maybe, uh, ask Liam about it.'

Isaac was confused, but honestly the idea of seeing Scott outside of work, and therefore having to talk to him about something besides work was very appealing. "Sure, when? I just wanna text Liam and let him know."

"Does tonight work?"

"Probably yeah, I'll text you the address"

"Okay, I'll let you know when we're on our way." Scott smiled, the nerves from before fading slightly.

"Cool, I'll see you later, then." He waved and made his way into the car.

The second Liam read Isaac's note he rolled his eyes and went straight out into the woods. Making a bagel quickly on his way out the door. He'd missed the sunrise, but it was still pretty to look out over the water, and the sounds of nature around him settled his restless thoughts. After about ten minutes he felt something watching him. When he turned around a familiar four legged figure stood a few feet away. It's tail was low, ears back, scared? Maybe. Liam smiled at him and lifted his hand in his direction. The wolf's ears sprang up and it jumped towards him, licking his palm, and letting Liam run it down his back.

"Were you waiting for me?" He asked, smiling at him.

It whined. Collapsing next to Liam's leg and resting its head on his calf.

"You know this is weird right?" It tilted it's head in his direction. "You, an, I'm assuming wild animal, have just decided to curl up next to me in the woods whenever I come out here. I told my brother about you, he doesn't think I should come near you."

The wolf let out a low growl.

Liam chuckled. "Yeah that's what I thought. You haven't tried to kill me yet, and honestly, given what I've gone through I think I could handle you."

The wolf's head raised looking at him, what felt like worry staring into Liam's eyes.

"Y'know I feel like you can understand me, and it freaks me out." Liam smiled when the wolf's head tilted the other direction. "Your eyes are really pretty, like the pond." Liam said, running his hand over the top of the wolf's head. It's tail wagged furiously at his words. Then it rested it's head on Liam's knee.