Emotions Are Stupid

Emotions are difficult.

They're one of the most complicated things in the universe. Understanding feelings isn't like understanding Algebra. In Algebra you're given equations and concepts to solve. You're given a basic understanding of how to solve the problem, how to follow an equation to achieve the correct answer, and there is almost always a correct answer. Even if the correct answer is that there isn't an answer. In Algebra, when everyones working on the same problem, the goal is that you'll all get the same answer, and if you're wrong, you can usually back track, look over your work, look at someone who got the correct answer, and try it again. It's annoying, and sometimes complicated, but if you understand it, it can be fun.

Emotions are nothing like Algebra. Emotions are like trying to solve an equation. Except you weren't given the equation, because in emotional algebra, there is no correct answer. You have no question to answer, no equation to solve it, and the teacher didn't even give you a calculator. AND if you do, somehow, come up with an answer, it will likely be different than everyone around you, because you've all been given different, nonexistent, equations. Also, if you guess incorrectly, there is no backtracking. You've either decided something for yourself, or decided something for someone else that you will never 100% know is accurate or inaccurate.

Emotions are nothing like Algebra, because there is no answer, or definition. You can't try to solve an emotion that's been directed at you because it isn't yours, and the only person that can even get close to 100% understanding an emotion, is the person that's feeling it. No one else.

And that can be incredibly frustrating when you're trying to understand someone else, because, truthfully, no matter how well you know someone, you could look back and realize that, not only were they playing a role, but that you were as well. That the person you are and the person you were are so drastically different that the concept of them even being briefly connected doesn't even exist.

Emotions are difficult. And the universe has decided to flood Beacon Hills with a whole new whirlwind of bullshit to deal with

The week was hell.

Maybe it was the chill in the air. Maybe it was the ever encroaching 'end of year emotional rollercoaster.' Maybe it was the Seasonal Depression, that for some reason, couldn't manage to pick just one season, but had, instead, decided to take all of them for a 10 year long test drive.

Maybe it was because of Liam's temperament over the last few days. How he barely spoke, only replying with a rolling of his eyes and a quick one to two word answer before retreating into his own world. While Isaac understood his sudden emotional changes, and didn't fault him for them at all, he wouldn't say they didn't affect his own mood at least a little bit. He didn't like seeing someone so angry, and so sad, but every attempt he'd made in the last decade had told him that the best way to help was to pretend like everything was fine, and to try and ignore him. And let it run its course. But this one had run its course far longer than the others. It was normal for Liam to be out for two or three days. But 5? 6? That worried Isaac. A lot. He hated that he could just solve whatever it was that triggered him so badly.

His, according to him, inevitable fight with Scott definitely didn't help either. See, Isaac had made a plan for his life pretty quickly after he realized that Liam and him were on their own, he was 11. He would graduate from highschool, working all the way through, turn eighteen and use the money had had to get the hell out of dodge. Liam and him would find a place, much like Beacon Hills, to lay low for a while. They would do it in the beginning of summer so they had time not to worry about school. They'd find a place, Isaac would graduate and use whatever skills he had to find a job that paid just enough to live off of while Liam finished school. Then he'd either help Liam find a job, or do whatever it took to get Liam the money he needed to go to college, even if it meant selling a kidney.