Muffins

Liam needed a damn drivers license. He never had the opportunity to get his learner's permit. The only reason that their father allowed Isaac to get his license was because it meant Isaac could run errands for him. Isaac could bring them to school every day. Isaac could go to the grocery store after class instead of their dad going. Isaac could bring the trash to the dump on weekends. Liam didn't need to get his license because their dad could use Isaac.

He only mentioned it once. Tried to bring it up quietly in a passing conversation, but all he left the room with was a bruised wrist and tear stains on his cheeks. He figured it was just better if he let the idea go.

Isaac had always had a bit more freedom. Liam knew he never would, but at any point Isaac could have packed a bag, jumped into the car and left without a trace. He could have gotten out when he turned 16 and passed his test. He chose to stay. He chose to stay because he loved his brother, and because he swore that he would keep him safe, even if he didn't realize he was swearing to protect him from his own father. He wasn't going to break that promise. But even in the confines of their town he had freedom. He could drive to the store and spend an extra couple of minutes wandering around looking for something he already knew the location of. Generally he brought Liam with him, but it wasn't the same. Liam didn't have the same options.

Which is why he was walking. It was cold, and he was walking. He'd just left the house after his chilling but surprisingly uplifting conversation with Isaac about their mother. Isaac was hanging out with Scott, who was still at work, and Liam was heading over to Theo's house. Except he didn't want to walk for miles so he chose instead to walk the two miles to the animal clinic. Scott agreed to drive him the rest of the way back to his house. He said he wanted to shower and change anyway, which Liam understood.

He might have asked Isaac to drive him, but he needed a few minutes alone. Just 20 or so minutes to think about everything going on in his life and where exactly he wanted to go with it all. Christmas was soon, and so was vacation. It would be their first real school vacation. They had one around Thanksgiving but it was only about three days, and Liam didn't care much for turkey. The new year was next. The very first year where Liam could walk into it actually expecting things to be better than the one before it.

He walked up to the clinic just in time to see Scott leaving, locking the door behind him.

"Hey Liam, how you doing?" he asked, moving to unlock his car.

"I'm great, thanks. Little cold, but y'know," Liam smiled.

Scott huffed and they both slid into the car, "Y'know if you wore a jacket you might be less cold."

Liam looked down at the sweatshirt he was wearing. Theo's sweatshirt. It was warm and comforting. Plus he was wearing another shirt underneath it. Anything more would just make him uncomfortable. Maybe less uncomfortable than being cold, but he didn't care to find out.

"Eh, I'm good," Liam smiled.

Scott huffed a laugh, "Hey so, I was talking with my mom about doing something for Christmas. She already kind of invited you and Isaac, but I thought it would be cool if everyone was there. I wasn't sure if he already told you about it." Scott explained.

Liam shook his head, "Nope, can't say he has, but I'm looking forward to it."

"Cool," Scott smiled, "I just... I know it might be weird given..." Scott trailed off.

"That we haven't actually celebrated Christmas normally in a decade?" Liam finished for him, looking at him with a smirk.

Scott huffed, "Yeah, that."