Just Breathe

"Hey Scott, relax, what the hell are you talking about?" Derek was standing with his arms crossed in Scott's living room.

Everyone had gathered there late that night, after Scott left Isaac and Liam's house he sent out an emergency text to meet at his house. He'd been thinking everything over in his mind. The way he almost missed it. The distinct smell of another wolf. He hadn't even blinked when he first walked in the house. All he could smell was Isaac, and he loved that, but it also meant he was at 100%.

"I could smell him, the wolf, on Liam." Scott said, trying to relax frantic heart.

"You mean the one Isaac told him not to go near? You positive?"

"Yes, Derek, I'm positive. It was definitely another werewolf, and it was close. When I got up to leave I actually realized I could smell it in the living room too. I sort of noticed it when I first walked in but I wasn't sure what it was at the time."

They all sat quietly in a contemplative silence. What was Liam even doing with the wolf? Who in their right mind would look at a wild animal and decide to just hang out with it? Apparently Liam, he guessed. Stiles was sitting on the arm of the coach, his leg bouncing furiously.

"Guys what the hell are we gonna do?" he said, standing and waving his arms in the air. "Liam is spending time with a werewolf, whether he knows it or not. That can't be safe at all."

"I know," Scott started, "But how are we supposed to go about this. We can't confront Liam, he'll just deny it, most likely anway. Even if he did admit that he has seen him more, he hates Derek, and knows he was lying. He'd know something was up if we just started questioning him. Plus," He hesitated, "We can't rule out that they might know."

"Know?" Derek raised an eyebrow.

"About werewolves, about us, how can we be so sure they don't know?'

"We can't," Lydia said, "Which is why we have to be cautious, careful. If we want to figure out why this werewolf is spending time with Liam we can't ask Liam."

"We have to ask him." Scott said.

"How are we supposed to find him, there are still hunters everywhere, and you said you didn't want us going in the woods." Derek countered.

"That was before we found out someone could be in danger. If this guy is up to something we have to know what it is. For Liam's sake if not our own."

They all thought it over for a few moments.

"Alright, how 'bout tomorrow afternoon. If this guy really is a full wolf, that's when he'll be out. Least risky time of day for him."

"Tomorrow." Scott nodded.

Friday morning wasn't good for Liam. Isaac and Liam both had nightmares fairly often, and sometimes panic attacks. The only area where Liam differed were his mood swings. They didn't happen all the time, some days were worse than others, but for the most part he just felt more strongly whatever emotion he was currently feeling. And currently, Liam was very anxious.

He couldn't quite pinpoint exactly why, and that always frustrated him more than the feelings themselves. Sometimes when he got unnecessarily angry he could pinpoint it to a specific event, a trigger. Sometimes it was something more obvious, like someone shoulder checking him in the hallway for no reason. Other times it was something as small as his earbuds getting on the doorknob when he walked by it. He always felt so stupid. So immature. Isaac had always tried to assure him that he couldn't control how he felt, and that it was immature to feel, but he never really let the message sink into his mind. Today he couldn't figure it out. He was just uncomfortable, and snappy. He'd gotten upset with Isaac for almost making them late to school, because he left his phone on the kitchen counter. That wasn't the trigger though, he felt weird before than to. Isaac knew he meant nothing by it. That the minute Liam started to feel better he would be riddled with guilt, and apologize profusely. But for now they just had to ride it out. Isaac would be patient with Liam as best as he could. He'd texted the other's, not giving details, but just letting them know that Liam wasn't feeling great.