I Can't Save Him On My Own

Isaac felt strange pulling up to the house after work. All the lights in the house were off, it was only about 7:20, he didn't think Liam would have gone to sleep, although sometimes he did sleep earlier when he felt shitty. Isaac got out of the car, pulling out his keys, and walking up onto the steps. When he went to turn his key in the door, he realized it wasn't locked. Liam never left the door unlocked. Home alone or not, it was a habit he picked up, it made him feel safer. He wouldn't forget to lock the doors even on his worst days.

Isaac felt his anxiety rise, but he tried to stay calm as he pushed the door open. The house was dark, except for a small trail of light leading in through the kitchen window and the front door. He felt for the light switch on his right. When the room flooded with light he felt his heart stop.

"I had him for a while," Derek explained, "almost cornered him before I heard other voices. I figured it would be safer if I let him go and retreated than continuing to follow him and risk getting caught."

Scott was pacing in his living room. Everyone else surrounded them, equally as anxious. Scott could even feel the emotion radiating from Derek, just slightly.

"Okay, so we go out again, not just you. You said before that you thought we might be able to take them. Technically we don't know if they've done anything yet, but if they attack us we know we can fight back." Scott reasoned.

"Yeah we could." Derek just crossed his arms over his chest.

"We could go out now? Unless anyone has any more pressing plans?" Stiles asked.

Everyone was silent.

"Okay so we go now the-"

Scott's phone started buzzing. They all turned to look at him. He pulled out his phone and read the contact name. Isaac.

"Uh, one second," He rounded the corner into the kitchen and answered. "Hey I-"

"Liam's gone!" Isaac's voice was filled with fear and worry."

Scott ran back into the living room, turning the phone on speaker "What do you mean Liam's gone?"

Everyone looked suddenly fearful, looking down at the phone in Scott's hand.

"W-when I got home, I-I turned on the lights. Scott." His voice broke, "There's so much blood."

Scott felt like everyone's heart collectively dropped in the room. Stiles stood up from the coach, and Malia shot up from the chair in the corner.

"Blood? Where, Isaac? Did you call him, text him, check everywhere?" Scott didn't want his voice to sound as afraid as it did.

"Of course I did! He isn't answering, I checked everywhere. There's a trail of blood leading to the back door. I-I don't know what to do."

"Hey just breathe, okay? I'm on my way, we'll figure this out."

With that Scott started running towards the door, the others all following behind. They piled into various cars and drove to Isaac's house. Dread, fear, and anger, radiating from them all.

Liam felt cold. The world was dark. He felt heavy. He was struggling to breathe. He couldn't seem to open his eyes. Or move. His head was pounding furiously, like someone was continuously hitting him in the skull. All he could do was hear the voices around him.

"- still got nothing?" one harsh voice asked. It was strong, commanding, but Liam could hear the fear.

"No. We followed him out for miles, but we lost him by the river. I might have landed a bullet or two, but he kept moving so I'm not positive." The voice was quieter, but there was a nervous edge. "Are you- do you think this will work? How do you know this kid is going to draw him out?"