What Changed?

"So, how was the first day for you?" Isaac asked when Liam got in the car.

"It was okay, the teachers were kinda boring, but it's school so I wasn't expecting much. I saw Hayden again, the girl from the supermarket, we have gym together."

"Oh cool, at least you aren't alone in any classes, I know that was bothering you earlier." Isaac started to pull out of the parking lot, heading back to the house.

"Yeah, I saw some people looking at me, none of them seemed rude, but y'know were new so,"

"Yeah I noticed that too. It's a small town, I doubt they get a lot of new people coming in and out."

"Probably, how was your day?"

"Same as yours I guess, got to know Stiles a bit better, I get why you text him all the time. Most of the teachers seem cool. A lot more enthusiastic than the ones at our old school. It was pretty good." He chuckled.

They sat in relative silence for a few minutes before Liam spoke again, "Hey, Isaac?"

"Yeah?"

Liam paused for a moment, his mind accessing everything that had happened at school. It was new, and nerve racking, but it wasn't bad. Malia was really nice, and she seemed to have this sort of awkwardness that Liam found endearing, like the way she was holding her highlighters when they were going over the syllabus. One held a fist in her hand, the other resting in her mouth.

He seemed to know Stiles more than the others. He made Liam laugh. The way he'd act so casual about talking during a teacher's introduction, as if they weren't even there. He reminded Liam a bit of Isaac. Not personality wise, but how he felt around them, he was comfortable, and felt like he didn't have to hide himself away.

Scott was Scott, seemingly confident in all aspects of his life. He was attractive, smart, and captain of the lacrosse team, Liam had seen how he acted around other players in his Statistics class. He was loud but not obnoxious, comfortable talking to anyone regardless of if he knew them well or not at all. However, all of that seemed to magically disappear the second Isaac walked in the room. He was still smiling, but now he had a blush painted on his face. He wasn't quiet necessarily, but he seemed to overthink every word that left his mouth. He'd overheard his conversation with Isaac in Bio and was thankful that they were hopefully getting past the awkward point and could now be in the "we talk all the time and everyone knows I like you but I'm not saying anything because I don't believe you like me" phase.

It was overall a good day, until gym class.

"Uh, I just wanted to ask-" he paused again, a nervous swirl in his chest, "you're going to work after you drop me off right?" He'd said it far too quickly, he knew Isaac would notice.

"Uh, yeah, I told you this morning, why? Is everything all right?" Isaac glanced over to look at Liam's face. It was harder to tell if he was lying from his voice, he knew how to steady it. Sometimes, though, his face could give him away, but Isaac was the only one who ever noticed.

"Just nervous," That wasn't a lie, but leaving out specifically what it was that made him nervous didn't make him a liar either.

"Do you wanna come with me? Deaton wouldn't care, Scott's gonna be late cause it's the first practice of the year and it's going kinda late, he might pay you if you help out." At this point they were pulling into the street the house was on.

"No, really, I'm okay, I guess it's just that this means this is real y'know, everything happening now, it feels more official." The statement itself wasn't a lie, but he was still trying to avoid Isaac's eyes as they pulled into the driveway and he opened his door.