Whatever it Takes

Liam was able to successfully get the wolf out of the house before Isaac got home. He'd gotten up and ushered the wolf outside the second Isaac texted him that he was on his way. Although it was still technically summer, Liam found himself shivering slightly in the thin t-shirt he was wearing as he watched the wolf run into the old shed behind the house. Liam had thrown an old blanket that he found in the house on the floor of the shed, and started leaving the door just open enough that the animal could push it open with his nose.

There was a strange feeling in his chest as he looked out over the dark forest in front of him. The sun had just started to set, leaving the woods in a dark orange glow. He didn't see anything, and the feeling wasn't as strong as it had been before, but it still made him squirm, turning back into the house quickly.

He did his best to get all the hair off the coach before sitting down and watching tv as if it had been what he'd been doing all night. He turned when he heard the lock on the front door turn and Isaac stepped in.

"Hey, how was work?"

"Good, the usual, things are less awkward with Scott and I now so we were able to have an actual conversation for once." Isaac threw his bag on the ground and sat down at the other end of the coach.

"Does this mean I can't make fun of you two being awkward." Liam chuckled.

Isaac rolled his eyes but the sight dusting of pink on his cheeks was still obvious. Liam wasn't really sure if that would ever stop. "Shut up," he laughed, throwing a pillow at Liam. They were quiet for a few minutes. Both turning their attention to the tv, some old movie neither of them recognized playing. Liam had found the channel in the middle of it playing, and at this point he wasn't even trying to understand it.

"Hey listen, I know you said you were fine earlier, but I know you Li. I can tell something is bothering you. We don't have to talk about it, but we can if you want to." Isaac watched as Liam seemed to still at his words. His eyes went down to his hands, the familiar tremor seeming to speed up slightly. "Hey look we don't- I'm sorry if I said something-"

"No, you're right, I'm not fine. I just- Everything's been so great this past week I just don't wanna fuck it up with all my shit this early on."

"Liam, something upsetting you isn't going to ruin anything. If anything, knowing that you've been uncomfortable about whatever's going on since I left, is far worse than having to work through whatever's happening." Isaac moved closer to Liam on the coach, resting his hand on his shoulder. Liam nodded. "What's wrong Li?"

Liam was silent. His mind seemed to dart all over the place. He looked down at his shaking hands and tried to clasp them to make it slow down. Isaac just rubbed his shoulder, giving him time to process whatever it was. Liam took a deep breath, and when he spoke his words were nervous.

"We, uh, we have to change in the locker rooms. For PE, I mean."

Isaac's face twisted in confusion. He'd never known Liam to be the self conscious type. And even if he was he didn't think he'd panic this much. Liam was gay, but from what the other's had said when they talked at lunch, no one really seemed to care. Although he supposed there could be a few assholes out there.

He scanned his mind for any reason Liam would be uncomfortable, before a wave of realization passed over him.

"Oh Li," He squeezed Liam's shoulder.

"I just- I don't want people asking questions. It's all infuriating enough as it is."

"I mean you could lie, but I get it. There are ways to change your shirt without really taking the other one off. I'm sure you could figure it out. You could change in the bathroom, or just not at all."