You're just different now Pt 1 - Natasha Romanoff

Warnings: tiny mention of a panic attack but it's small

I recently finished watching Agents of Shield for the first time. Needless to say, I'm obsessed. This mini series is the result of this. 

If you haven't watched Agents of Shield, I apologize if this mini series makes no sense. You should go watch it. It's amazing. 

Also, I recently started an Instagram account where I post all the nerdy fan art I draw. If that's your kind of thing, go follow me at artistic_bagel_ on Instagram! I'd love to see you all there!

Just a simple retrieval mission. Get in, and get out. How hard could that be?

Apparently it's very easy to pull of if everything goes according to plan...but when does that ever happen?

"Y/n, are you clear on the plan?" Steve asked, placing his comms device in his ear.

"So clear." I crack a smile at him and do the same, placing my comms in my ear.

Natasha appeared at my side, handing me my two handguns. I take them and place them in their respective holsters. Then I look up and meet her eyes.

"You better be careful." she says, placing her hands on my hips and pulling me closer to her.

"I'm always careful." I smirk at her, knowing full well that I have a tendency to be reckless sometimes.

"I'm serious y/n. Please, don't do anything stupid." she frowns slightly at me, making sure I understand how serious she's trying to be.

"I promise I won't do anything stupid. Not without you there at least." my smile grows as I say the last part of the sentence.

She laughs lightly and playfully smacks my arm, then pulls me in for a quick kiss. I hum as I lean into it, feeling my nerves for the mission disappear at her gentle touch.

My nerves. I'm rarely nervous for a mission, and whenever I am, it's usually just me worrying over Natasha. That wasn't the case this time. I'm not sure what it was, but something about this mission just didn't feel right. I have no proof to prove my suspicions, it was just a gut feeling that something wasn't going to go right. But I just ignored it, dismissing it as an overabundance of anxiety.

Sometimes, I wish I would listen to my gut feelings.

The Quinjet landed and we all went our separate ways, with Tony taking to the skies, Steve charging head first through the front door of the enemy base, Natasha slipping in through the vents, and myself going in through the back.

The base belonged to some small, independent organization that had dreams and aspirations of becoming the next Hydra. Who dreams of that, I have no idea, but apparently these guys do. Like I said, they were small, and were having trouble gaining traction and support to grow. However, recently they had acquired a small shipment of something that was supposedly dangerous. The Avengers had tracked the shipment here, to this small base that was literally out in the middle of snowy nowhere.

Anyways, I went in through a back entrance. My part in the mission was to grab the shipment and get it back to the jet, while Natasha went to download everything off the computers and the boys went to cause a distraction.

It seemed to be working for the most part. The halls were practically deserted, with only a few stray enemy guards that I easily took down. These guys were the definition of amateurs.

"How's it coming, you two?" Steve's voice filled my right ear through my communications device.

"Oh, just dandy." I replied, turning down one of the branching off hallways. If my memory of the building's schematics is correct, then the room I'm looking for should be just a few doors away.