Meeting the family - Yelena Belova

Warnings: homophobia, some swearing, and mention of anxiety attacks

Ok so this one is a bit more serious then I like to write. I like my share of fluff. But I wrote this when my parents were having a conversation about lgbt+ community. Let's just say, it wasn't a positive conversation.

This was the result of me thinking how my coming out/moving out would go because I know it would be a whole situation. I used a lot of my personal experiences in this, so there's that. Anyways...

I hope you enjoy. I plan on getting back in track with some more fluff one shots because I could really use that lol

Yelena and I were seated at the kitchen table, eating dinner together. It had been a nice and relaxing day. Today was one of the rare occasions where we both had the day off work, so we had made a plan to be lazy and be with each other all day.

    Fanny trotted over to the two of us, sat down and gave us her best puppy dog eyes. She either wanted food or attention. Most likely food.

    "Oh Fanny." Yelena giggled, scratching to top of the dog's fluffy head.

    "I think she wants your dinner." I laughed, shoving more dinner in my mouth.

    Yelena had made some kind of Russian dish, claiming that this was the food that she had grown up on during her time in Ohio. Her mom would usually make American dishes since they technically were undercover. But every once in a while, usually on holidays, she would pull out her recipes and make Russian dishes, wanting some kind of taste from home. Yelena had told me the name of the dish several times, but I still couldn't remember or properly pronounce the name. All I knew was that it tasted delicious.

    The blaring sound of my phone ringing cut off our laughter, causing me to jump slightly. I pulled out my phone and looked at the caller ID. My face fell slightly when I saw who it was.

    "What is it?" Yelena asked, instantly noticing the change in my expression.

    "It's my mom." I say plainly, kind of wanting to let the call go to voicemail.

I let out a tired sigh, knowing that if I ignore the call, it will lead to more problems down

the road. I knew my mom and she would often blow things out of proportion when things don't go her way.

    "I'll be right back." I mumble, leaving behind my half finished dinner and a slightly confused Yelena. Fanny watched me get up and walk away, then began following me to the bedroom. She slipped through the door just before I closed it.

    Looking at the caller ID once more, I accepted the call and held the phone up to my ear.

    "Hello?" I said boredly.

    "Hi, y/n. It's mom." Just hearing her voice through the speaker caused my heart rate to increase to a most likely unhealthy rate.

    My mom and I hadn't talked much with each other in about two years. In fact, I hadn't spoken to a whole lot of my family, except my older sister, since I came out two years ago. They had just dismissed me being gay as a phase, saying it would wear off after enough time in the church. When I pushed back, claiming that this was who I am and there was no changing that, they cut me off. Only person who stuck with me was my older sister. She was just as religious as the rest of my family, but didn't believe in cutting off people who are different. She accepted me for who I was.

    Normally, I wouldn't answer phone calls from my family, minus my sister, but I knew my mom wouldn't be calling if it wasn't important or urgent.

    "What's up?" I asked, wanting to get to the point so this call could be as brief as possible.