Nightmares aren't real - Wanda Maximoff

Warnings: mentions of depression and abuse

I apologize if there's any grammatical and/or spelling errors. I wrote this on three hours of sleep and having only eaten junk food for lunch. My minds a bit all over the place but I wanted to get this out of my head.

This one shot was inspired by my real life. I had a nightmare and didn't know what to do with myself. I like writing from real life, so I'm sorry if this isn't interesting or intriguing to you.

Also, don't worry, I'm still doing a part three to my "Little Sister" mini series. But I just wanted to write something small and quick and get my idea on paper.

I turned around in bed, trying to get comfortable. Most nights I had one sleeping position that I could go to and I'd be asleep in a half hour if I managed to stay still. But tonight, I couldn't get comfortable, the blanket felt weird on top of me, and my pillow wasn't sitting right under my head.

    What made the situation worse was that Wanda was in her office, working late on some stuff for Fury and Steve. Normally Wanda's presence was enough to make me calm down enough to fall asleep, but tonight she had work. While I wanted her in bed with me because she needed rest and I wanted to sleep, her work was important and I needed to respect that.

    I rolled over once again, lying on my side with my leg sticking out. The clock on my nightstand glowed red, displaying that it was nearing midnight. I had tried being a good human being and going to bed at a reasonable time, but that was beginning to backfire on me since I had been laying here for almost two hours.

For the past few days, I had been sinking deeper and deeper in my depressive episodes, barely coming out the other end. Lately though, it has been a lot harder for some reason. I had no idea why, it just was, and that made me feel stupid. But what I hated most was when my depression gets worse, so do my nights. I can barely sleep, and when I manage to fall asleep, my nightmares act up. Wanda helps a lot, giving me a reason to keep going and get out of bed in the morning. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of things keeping me going, but some days just suck more than others.

I knew that if I didn't sleep, I'd be worse in the morning. I didn't want to be worse in the morning, which meant I'd have to sacrifice a restful night of sleep.

I wished Wanda was with me, but she was busy and I didn't want to bother her. Her work was important and she needed to be focused on that. I could take care of myself. I had done it my whole life, so what's one more night. I always find some way to make myself fine again, so I'd come out alright in the end. I always do. I have to.

Groaning, I grabbed the pillow out from under my head and stuffed it on top of my face, blocking out all the light that was still protruding from around the room. After sticking my nose out from under the pillow to make sure I wouldn't suffocate myself, I managed to eventually fall asleep, but it was anything but restful.

Wanda's pov

I rubbed my eyes, sighing tiredly as the computer screen just continued to glare at me. I wanted to be done with my work, but there was still stuff to do. However, there wasn't a lot left. I could get away with finishing it tomorrow. All the pressing and most important stuff had been completed and turned in to Fury and Steve, so I shouldn't get an angry star-spangled-man-with-a-plan tomorrow morning.

Powering down my laptop and closing the lid, I stood up and stretched. It had been a hot minute since I had actually moved out of my chair that I could hear some parts of body realign and crack. 

It was past one in the morning by now, so I knew that y/n had to be in bed, but her being asleep would be a different story. I knew she had trouble falling asleep at night, and usually I was there to help her. But tonight she was understanding of my large work pile and said she'd be fine on her own. I knew her well enough to know she'd have problems on her own, but I knew that she's stubborn enough to not admit it and ask for help. I hated leaving her alone at nights, but I had so much work to catch up on that I decided to risk it. Maybe it wasn't the best idea, but I couldn't change that now.