Little Sister Part 1 - Kate Bishop

Warnings: none I can think of? maybe a mention of a blood if that bothers you

This was a request by @jayjayromanoff

I changed some of the ages so it makes more sense with the timeline, but other than that, I hope you enjoy!

I got kind of carried away with writing this so it got kind of long. As a result, I'm breaking it up into two parts so the whole thing isn't over seven thousand words because that's a bit ridiculous.

Gotta say...I really liked this prompt and I'm really proud of how this turned out. Hope you enjoy!

Kate stared at the photo of her father, framed with a wreath of flowers, a new sort of void and frustration filling her. Her mother was sitting next to her, a hand on her stomach as she felt the slight baby bump that had formed over the last few weeks. A soft breeze blew through the cemetery, slightly disturbing the funeral that had just ended. A few family members had already left, just showing up as a formality. But the people who had truly cared for Derek Bishop were still seated in the chairs.

    The Battle of New York had instilled a new kind of emotion in the people. Kate didn't quite understand what she was feeling. All she knew was that aliens had attacked her home, and she was unsure of what this meant for her and her family. Her father had died in said attack, and all she wanted was to have him back.

    Maybe this new emotion was perhaps a need, a desire to protect what was left of her family, her family that was about to have a new addition in the form of a new baby sibling. She had no idea if it was going to be a baby brother or sister, but Kate wanted to protect them no matter what. The girl was only ten, but was growing more and more protective. She wanted to be there for her mother and her new sibling. It's what her father would do.

    An older man hobbled over to the Bishops, extending a hand for Eleanor to take. Kate recognized the man from some of the richer parties that she had attended, but she could not place a name to him.

    "I'm so sorry for your loss. The Bishop family has lost an excellent man." the man said with obvious fake sorrow. He was probably just trying to appear sensitive to the Bishops in hope of getting some of Derek's wealth.

    "Thank you, Aaron. You're too kind." Eleanor smiled, shaking the old man's hand.

    The man now dubbed Aaron nodded with a polite smile, then walked away, leaving the funeral.

    "Fake old man." Kate whispered to herself, only intending for herself to hear the comment she made.

    "Kathrine!" Eleanor hissed, whipping her head to the side to look at the ten year old. "He's an old friend of your father's family. He is anything but fake."

    "He just wants dad's money." Kate defended, crossing her arms and looking back at the portrait of her father.

    Eleanor just sighed and shook her head, returning her gaze to the same thing as the ten year old.

    A new air of sadness settled on the mother and daughter. Derek Bishop was dead, and it would take a long time for the little family to come to terms with this. Kate, however, made the vow to tell her baby sibling about her father, about his kindness.

1 year later

    "Kate! Grab y/n!" Eleanor called out to the now eleven year old.

    Just as Kate glanced up from her book, a soaking wet, naked toddler came waddling into the room at full speed, giggling furiously. A mischievous grin settled onto Kate as she bounced up from her spot on the couch and began to chase the naked y/n. Both children laughed together, turning the whole event into a kind of unintentional game.