I need to get home - Natasha Romanoff

Warnings: none

Never in a million years would I have expected an alien invasion to be the reason why my flight was indefinitely canceled. Yet here I was, on the phone, pleading with the airlines to try and find some way for me to get back to New York. I was beginning to regret ever going on this trip, but how the hell was I supposed to know that Loki was going to summon an alien invasion on the big city of New York.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but it's like I've said before, the state of New York has canceled all incoming and outgoing flights to and from the state. I understand that you have loved ones in the state, but there's nothing I can do." This was the same answer I had been getting from every airline company that I could think of. New York was in lock down, and there was no way for me to get back to the state, or really New York city where Natasha was.

I watched the battle unfold on the television. Of course the United States broadcasting networks would be broadcasting the alien attack live. It's good publicity, or whatever.

One of the news station's camera guys got a good shot of one of the humongous, flying aliens crashing into the side of a tall office building, cascading down the street below to promptly take out more buildings. More of the invaders were seeping out of a black and blue portal in the sky, just wrecking havoc with no care of how many lives they were putting in danger.

"United States military and law enforcement have arrived on the scene, however, they seem to be doing little good as these invaders make our weapons look primitive." The news anchor narrated over several shots of the purplish-gray aliens raining down fire from their little speeders, zipping through the air with the sole intent of causing destruction.

My biggest question was yet to be answered however. Where the hell was Shield? The agency's motto and purpose was "to be the shield that protects the innocent." Well the innocent were losing their lives and the high and mighty agency that I worked for was nowhere to be seen.

I had joined the Shield Academy fresh out of high school, going into Operations, which was the side of the school that specializes in training agents for field work and running missions. I was on the younger side when I graduated from the Academy, however definitely not the youngest to graduate from the school. I started working immediately on assignments, being stationed at a base in Los Angeles. I was transferred around a lot, going wherever Shield needed me, taking out any targets or running any retrieval missions they needed. It wasn't until my second year as an official Agent where I was transferred to a base in New York, working on the Helicarrier. That's when I met Natasha.

Being an agent for two years, you pick up on rumors that make their rounds in the agency. I had heard rumors about some new agent who was quickly climbing the ranks in both the agency and in Director Fury's eyes. There were several different stories about how Natasha had come to work for Shield, about how she had some horrible past that most details of it remain classified, only available for a few prying eyes. I never thought much of the rumors, never bothering with them since it was none of my business and I'd probably never meet the fabled Agent Romanoff.

Boy was I wrong.

We met through a mission that Agent Coulson had assigned the both of us, believing the two of us working together would create an almost unstoppable duo. He was right, in a way. We had succeeded in that mission and slowly became partners in life, beginning to date about a year after we met. The rest was history, leading me here to a not-so-spectacular hotel room, staring anxiously at the tiny TV.

Normally I would never have gone on personal trips out of the state where I was assigned just in case of an emergency. However, the one time I had made an exception, the king of emergencies had happened. I had taken a few days off work to fly down to Virginia to help my parents move from their apartment to a house they had recently bought, which was located in more of the countryside.