𝟐𝟖. only one choice

WHITE FLAG

chapter twenty-eight : only one choice
{ season two - episode ten }

chapter twenty-eight : only one choice{ season two - episode ten }

STARING AT THE sky with admiration, Kloe watched carefully as the clouds moved slowly. There were only a few clouds, but mostly it was a blue sky. It made the youngest Schmidt smile every time. She had no idea why, but she enjoyed it.

A few footsteps approached her on the porch, breaking her eyes away from the sky and toward the new presence. "Is Beth okay?" Kloe asked with sympathy.

"No. She wants to go tonight," Maggie answered, exhaling a shaky breath, "and she wants me to go with her." She crouched down beside Kloe, bringing her knees to her chest.

"I'm sorry," Kloe said with sadness, wrapping her arm around Maggie's shoulder. Maggie rested her head on Kloe's shoulder, letting herself shut her eyes to rest.

"Thank you for everything," Maggie muttered out, peacefully resting as her head was still set on the Schmidt girl's shoulder. "You're the first real friend I've had in a while."

"That's what friends are for," Kloe smiled. "You know, I had two friends that I was super close to before the apocalypse happened," she said, catching Maggie's attention. "Their names were Ryan and Norah. They were always there for me when I needed them, and I was always there when they needed me. Norah and I have been friends since we were five, but Ryan had only been friends with us since seventh grade when he was getting apples thrown at his head by a group of assholes."

The two young adults shared a chuckle. They both loved it when they shared their history together. Every sentence was increasing their friendship with every word that slides off of their tongues.

"If they were still here, they would've loved to be friends with you," Kloe said, looking down at her hands that were placed nicely in her lap while Maggie's head still rested on her shoulder.

"I wish I got to know them, they sound nice," Maggie lifted her head and looked across at her friend, smiling at her. Kloe returned the smile, beginning to think of all the happy memories with her old friends. She would do anything to see them again, but fate had other plans for them.

It made Kloe sad when she thought about it. The two probably had so much more to experience, despite the dead trying to eat them. Even though Kloe was living in the fatal world with another group and possibly more people, she was still having fun at times.

And she was happy. If the apocalypse never began, she might not have been with Glenn. She would be still faking her relationship with Ryan, thinking that real relationships were a waste of space and unnecessary.

She thought that until she met Glenn. At first, she kept denying the fact that she felt differently to everyone else. Neither of them knew what it was, even Glenn. He hadn't liked anyone the way he liked Kloe.