𝟓𝟒. glorified cold

WHITE FLAG

chapter fifty-four : glorified cold
{ season four - episode three }

chapter fifty-four : glorified cold{ season four - episode three }

KLOE RUSHED OUTSIDE onto the concrete, her mind cloudy. So much had gone on within just one day. She leaned her body forward, resting her palms on her knees as she tried to catch her breath.

She fiddled through her pocket, gripping onto her asthma reliever. She shook it furiously before bringing it to her lips. She pushed the canister down, the blockage in her airways vanishing away.

She watched the ground beneath her shoes, her heavy breathing slowing down. "Kloe?" Isabelle Marshel called out to her upon seeing her in a state of panic.

Kloe's head snapped up toward the concerned woman, her eyes widening promptly. She took a step back, her hands raising in front of her as she gestured to Isabelle to stop. "Don't come near me, Isa."

"I'm not afraid, Kloe," Isabelle mentioned, a stoic expression on her face. "If you get sick, then so do I."

"No," Kloe stated firmly, shaking her head. "Just- just go help out the others with the fence or something." Kloe had never felt like she needed to be alone more than ever. She hated the fact of being alone - but right then, all she wanted was the feeling of being by herself.

"I heard what happened. With Nicole and Jack," Isabelle clarified. "I'm sorry. They didn't deserve that." Kloe's breath got caught in her throat, the name of the two children causing her eyes to sting.

"Let's not talk about that," she muttered out, earning a small 'okay' in return. There was a moment of silence for a few seconds, until a certain smell reached Kloe's nose, making her frown deeply. "Do you smell that?"

"Yeah..." Isabelle replied, her head lifting as she drastically searched the area around her. "Smells like something's burning."

"Hey, look," Kloe pointed up at the air, very faint smoke rising into it. She glanced down at the building it was coming from. Her eyes lowered to the building beside it when she noticed it was coming from a courtyard - belonging to A-Block. "I'll go check it out."

"Need help?" Isabelle wondered, beginning to follow the other woman.

"No," Kloe told her strictly, eyeing her over her own shoulder. "It's the block where people that are infected or exposed are held."

...

Kloe's eyes broadened at the sight of the blood trail on the concrete ground in front of her. As the burning smell got more vivid, everything began to make more and more sense.

"Klo?" The woman's body spun around, coming eye-to-eye with Tyreese - who was holding a bouquet of yellow and white flowers. "What are you doing here?"

"Can you not smell that?" Kloe wondered, pointing to the sickening smell of ashes behind her. "Do you not smell the burning?"