| xx ; shadow bearers

"Yuji's... what?"

Gojo nodded his head, letting out a sigh, "Yuji's dead."

Y/N's lips parted as she looked at him bewildered, "What do you mean he's dead? You're joking, right?"

"I wish I was," Gojo said to her. "There was an unregistered Special-Grade curse. Sukuna came out, and Megumi tried to fight him for Yuji's heart, but Yuji gained control in the end and died."

Her hands clenched into fists as she digested the words. Gojo gently placed his hand on her head, "I'll be going to Yuji's autopsy. Do you want to follow?"

"No," Y/N said. "I'll have to check in with Megumi. I have to know how he's coping."

Gojo nodded, "Take care, kiddo."

Y/N gave him a brief smile before she walked away. She was heading towards the dormitories when she heard Maki call out her name.

"Y/N!"

The said girl turned around, "Maki, you know where Megumi is?"

"Yeah, we're heading to him right now," Maki answered. She hung her arm around Y/N's shoulder while Inumaki and Panda walked behind them.

"How have you been? Are you well enough to be back on the field?" Maki asked her.

"Yeah. The Kyoto Goodwill event will be soon, right? I'll definitely participate," Y/N announced.

Maki grinned as she looked down at her, "That's the spirit."

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Nobara and Megumi sat on the stairs in front of a building, both still grieving.

"Live long, he said," Nobara muttered. "How can he say that when he's dead? Is this your first time experiencing a friend's death?"

"It's a first for my classmate," answered Megumi.

"I see. Yet, you look surprisingly calm," Nobara commented.

"You too," replied Megumi.

"Of course. I've only known him for two weeks. I'm not so weak that I'll cry over a man's death," She muttered under her breath. But just seconds later, tears were threatening to form as her lips quivered, cursing at how her body reacted the opposite way of what she had said.

Megumi glanced at her before he said, "It's so hot."

"You're right. I wonder when we'll get to wear our summer uniforms," Nobara added on.

"What's this?"

Megumi and Nobara looked up, just in time to see Maki stopping in front of them. Her left hand rested on her waist while her right hand held onto the bag that contained her spear.

"Your face looks even worse than usual, Megumi," Maki mentioned. "Are you mourning?"

"Zenin-senpai..." Megumi muttered.

"Don't call me by my last name-!"

"Maki! Maki!"

"I'm talking here!" She yelled and turned to look at Panda, Inumaki and Y/N who hid behind a stone monument.