| xxxxiii : one last conversation

DECEMBER 16TH, 17:35, TOKYO COLONY NO.1

The sky glowed an ethereal golden-orange as the sun began to set. Clouds scattered in the sky, shielding places from the sun's rays. Y/N stood by a balcony of the temporary base, watching the sun descend with her forearms on the metal railings. Her hair moved with the wind's current and she relished in the cool relief it gave her.

Footsteps echoed from behind and grew louder as they neared her. Y/N glanced behind to see who it was approaching her. She stood straight when she realised who it was. A smile formed on her as she called his name, "Gojo-sensei."

"Hey," He replied, moving to stand next to her, basking in the golden hue of the sun as well. "What're you doing all alone here?"

"Just needed a moment of tranquility," She responded and looked at him. "What about you?"

"The same," He answered. "How have you been holding up?"

"I'm fine," Y/N replied. "I'm glad to be with you, Yuta, and everyone else again."

Silence overwhelmed the conversation as Gojo turned to look at her, "... But?"

Of course I couldn't fool Gojo-sensei. He always seemed to know what I truly felt.

Y/N looked away as she turned back to face the sun, "But it doesn't feel the same without Nacht."

Gojo nodded his head and did the same, "I know what you mean. After losing someone special, you tell yourself to suck it up. You think everything's going to be fine. You think you're going to be fine..."

"But you'll never be fine," Y/N completed his sentence. "Was it the man I fought with during the Night Parade of a Hundred Demons? Geto Suguru?"

Gojo laughed as fond memories that he shared with Suguru resurfaced, "Yeah. He was my one and only best friend."

Y/N smiled in response, "Shoko told me how close the three of you were."

"We were the best of the best," Gojo shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly. "Even after his death, especially after seeing Kenjaku, I find myself thinking back to every moment and every memory I had of him. Every picture, every video... all that reminded me of him... And who made you feel like this? Is it Nacht?"

"Mhm," She nodded her head. "It almost feels like I took his presence for granted. I should've spent more time with him. I should have never used his powers so I could spend the rest of my life with him in my life..."

"Y/N..."

Y/N could feel tears gathering in her eyes once more at the thought of the oldest Faust, "But now everyone knows that there was a man named Nacht Faust, Devil of Curses, who saved me and took care of me for twelve years. And what hurts the most is that I don't even have a picture of him. He exists now... only in my memory. Sooner or later, I will forget how he looks like or how he sounds like. I could forget him entirely."

Gojo moved his hand around Y/N's shoulders, moving her to his embrace as he tried to provide comfort for her. "And you didn't tell Yuta this?"

"I love Yuta a lot, Gojo-sensei, I really do. But I didn't want to burden him anymore with my feelings. Gojo-sensei, he almost lost me. I almost died," She replied, not realising that her tears had finally escaped the grasps of her eyes.

"There, there," He muttered, patting her head with so much care.

"I promised Nacht, Morgen, and Kiera that I would survive this battle. I would survive to live on for them and my family but the truth is I'm scared," Y/N said. "In a battle against Sukuna... we would all be dead. How can I protect and lead the Jujutsu World if there is no one to lead?"