| xxxix ; before you go

"Nacht, will you do me a favour?"

Nacht stood behind Fujiwara Kyoko, Y/N's mother. Kyoko looked outside the window, smiling at the sight of Ayato and Y/N playing around with a kite in the courtyard. Y/N was wearing an adorable white dress with bows since she wanted to match her outfit with Ayato, who donned his classic white dress shirt and black pants.

"My precious daughter... protect her for us, will you?" She asked. "I know Ayato and I will be gone soon. I don't want my daughter to be exposed to the Jujutsu World just yet, so I can't leave her with Gojo Satoru. Y/N will be scared and alone, so I have to depend on you to protect her."

"I told you," Nacht said. "I don't want your daughter to be my vessel. If she becomes my vessel, it means you've died. I don't want that outcome."

Kyoko laughed and looked at him, "Always so protective, huh?"

Nacht sighed, "I promised to myself that you'd be the last vessel. You promised you'd be the one to end my suffering."

"I know. I'm sorry," She told him. "Will you please wait a little longer? I just have to know that my daughter will be in safe hands. You are the only person I trust in handling my daughter's safety."

"Why are you so adamant on me being Y/N's protector?" Nacht asked.

"There was a prophecy that my mother once told me. When the honoured one rises, the night shall fall eternally. Lose half, and the universe shall open itself," She said. "It sounded like a bunch of words that made zero sense, but when I was pregnant with Y/N, I knew she had something to do with it."

"You're implying that Y/N has some sort of prophecy to uphold? No, rather, Y/N is the evidence of a prophecy coming true," Nacht corrected himself.

"She'll be the one to save us."

Nacht looked back at Y/N and Ayato. The young girl was smiling brightly as she looked up at the sky, watching her kite glide in the air. Upon feeling someone's stare on her, Y/N looked down and saw Nacht.

Y/N passed Ayato her kite before running towards the man. She giggled and opened her arms, "Up! Up!"

Kyoko laughed and watched them interact, "She wants you to carry her, Nacht."

"I can tell," Nacht narrowed his eyes at her. "I will not carry you."

Almost immediately, a frown appeared on Y/N's face as her lips quivered. Her eyes glistened with tears and Nacht's eyes widened. A cry left her lips, alerting Nacht. "Mama! Nacht no cawwy!"

"Tsk. Fine, now keep quiet," Nacht said and gave in as he carried Y/N in his arms. He didn't want to hear her cry any longer, and oddly, he did feel sad that she was crying.

Y/N giggled and wiped away her tears. She rested her head on Nacht's shoulder with a happy smile. (He was always her favourite person.) Nacht clicked his tongue in annoyance when he felt Y/N playing with his hair, but he didn't bother telling her off. Instead, he sighed and surrendered, letting her do whatever she wanted.

"She'll be in good hands," Ayato said as he stood next to Kyoko, watching Nacht and Y/N.

"Yes. Yes, she will."

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅ ─────

Nacht watched as Y/N walked home silently from school. She was looking down at the ground, repeatedly kicking a pebble to break the silence of her journey.

He sighed and looked behind him, glaring at the curses that still dared to look at them. He waved his hand, killing them in a second before he focused back on Y/N.