Chapter 1: Expect the unexpected

Chapter One

My story begins on one hot Saturday afternoon. I was wiping a table in the ice cream shop where I work as a waitress, silently cursing why little children keep on spilling their ice cream all over the tables. I'm not complaining since this is my job. To clean their mess. But seriously? Do they know how hard it is to remove all of those sticky things on the tables? Clearly, they don't. Life sure is tough. It's hard to tell if an ice cream is the solution for a person's financial problems. Yes, I'm not talking about the ice cream on the tables. I'm talking about my sucky life.

"Lea, another order over her!" Erin, my co - worker, yelled over the counter.

Erin is one of those few people you don't want to mess with. She can be too loud when she's furious. And today, I'm not lucky enough to be on her good side. She's having a bad day for some odd reason.

I walk over to the counter and grab the two orders of vanilla ice cream. Skating over to table seven, (Yes, this ice cream shop still has those roller blades for waitresses) I placed the orders like how I normally do. It isn't an easy job to be a waitress. Sometimes, you have to control your emotions for the sake of having a good tip from the costumers. And right now, if I showed the lovely couple in front of me of how ungrateful I am with their appearance, It might affect my performance and get fired.

"What's the matter Lea?" The annoying voice of the one and only Vanessa Carter filled my ears. "Tired of being a waitress?"

You see, I have a very complicated history with Vanessa. Not only is she the meanest girl in school but also the girl who stole my crush. She's also my former best friend and she's not oblivious of the fact that I'm having a huge crush for Yvan Crawford. The next morning, I woke up finding that they're dating and Vanessa's fame sky rocketed leaving me behind her ashes. And no. I'm not happy about seeing them together here. It annoys me that she can see my misery. He out of all people can see my misery.

I spun around ignoring Vanessa's unworthy. But before I can even skate at least two feet away from their table. Vanessa stopped me and poured down her one dollar worth ice cream. Of course. This would happen to me. I mean it's my lucky day after all.

The cold soft thing slowly goes down my face. All I could do right now is stare at her in disbelief. I can't believe that this witch did this to me. I look over to Yvan's direction and hell, he is suppressing a laugh. What a jerk. I regret fantasizing him.

Before I can even do something, the bell of the store rang.

My eyes landed on a group of men all dressed in black suit. They didn't mind everyone's stares. All they did was scan the room and look for a certain someone.

I'm scared. They look scary. And to top it off, they look really weird. I mean, who would ever wear a suit in such place? This is an ice cream shop for crying out loud!

Their eyes keep on searching the room. That made me a little nervous. Finally, the leader's head stopped on my direction.

I can't see his eyes for it is covered with his black shades. But I think he is in his late seventies. His hair is gray and almost white. He started walking.

At that moment, my heart started on beating frantically. Worried that I did something very unjust to have a group of men in black suits eyeing me like crazy.

When he stopped, I held my breath.

"Are you Aleandria Monroe?"

"Y-y-yes" I stuttered.

I think whatever message he have for me, It's a bad one. I really have this bad feeling lingering inside my stomach.

"You are the heiress." He said.