Chapter 22 - Promise

Chapter 22

When you just can't believe that something is really happening.. What will you feel? Is your mouth hanging low? Or you are just there frozen as ever. Staring at the familiar blue orbs, I've seen a lot of memories which we may never know might not happen again. "Darren," it came out of my mouth naturally. This is a all too familiar word.

Katherine and the doctor came. I stood up from the chair I'm sitting on to let them have a privacy. Outside stands Glacier with a cup of coffee on hand. He's leaning against the wall probably texting Lizzie.

"Since when did you came?" I asked him leaning against the wall too.

He looked up from his cellphone. He has bags under his eyes. He look so tired. "A couple of minutes ago. As soon as Katherine texted me to come and fetch you. She's actually worried of you." He said. Glacier took a sip from his coffee which I find a bit disturbing because of the sipping sound he's making.

"I know. But I can't leave Darren knowing that I'm the cause of what happened to him." The floor seems so interesting.

Glacier glared at me. If only looks could kill, I might be dead right now. "Stop blaming yourself. Accidents can happen. So does kidnappings. It's not your fault."

I smiled. It's great to know that I have friends who actually cares. Friends who are there to support me and comfort me whenever I feel blue. "Thanks Glacier. "

He smiled back. "Anything for you. You are my bestfriend's special girl."

That statement sent electrifying tingles on my body. But then, as quick as the wind blows, it disappeared. I frowned knowing that I can't never be Darren's. Even if he said he loves me. Because Elisa is still on the picture. But nevertheless, If we are not meant to be together, then we won't. A handful of sacrifices but... It's for the best. The door jiggled and the doctor came outside.

I gave him a smile which he returned back. Glacier yawned and turned to me, "Well, I'm seeing my bro. Wanna come with me?" He offered.

"You go first. I'll just follow after a while." I told him.

He raised his eyebrow and asked, "You sure?"

"Yes." I clarified. Glacier turned the knob and got in. I heard some muffled sounds inside which involves both boys joking about waking up. I can't get in there looking like crap. And so I went inside the hospital bathroom and stared at myself in the mirror. I'm wearing a black sweat pants, an olive green tank top and a magenta pink hoodie. My hair is styled down in a wavy way and a thin headband on it. Bags are attached below my green eyes. I really do look like shit. I opened the faucet and washed face. I dried it with my handkerchief.

Letting out three deep breaths, I opened the door with my heart pounding hard against my chest. As soon as it opened, the pair of ocean blue eyes met mine. I was unable to move in my spot. It was like I'm glued in it.

"Glacier, would you like to go with me? Let's buy some snacks." Katherine said.

"Sure." Glacier replied.

I know what they're trying to do. They are leaving us alone. Without saying anything, they left. I sat on the chair I'm sitting on a while ago staring at anything but Darren. I just can't seem to look at him. I don't know. I am so weird.

"You look so stressed. Did you get any sleep? I heard that you stayed here the whole time." He muttered. I miss this voice. I miss his voice.

I gave him a small smile and said,"I didn't get that much of sleep. But... I'm okay. How about you? Do you need anything?"

He smiled. "No. And I'm fine."

I started fidgeting on my hoodie's hem. I don't really know what to say. It's a very awkward silence.

"I mean it." Darren said in a hush tone.

My head snapped towards him. "What do you mean?"

"When we were kidnapped. That little confession even if it doesn't sound so manly. I mean it. Everything." Darren stared at the ceiling.

Remembering every single word he said, made me go back to that moment. "You only said I love you. You didn't confess at all. There's nothing ti be shy about." I said smiling.

He laughed. Gosh I miss this darn laugh. "Okay. But I swear, I mean it. Can you promise me one thing?" He asked.

I suddenly felt uneasy. What is this promise he wants me to keep? "Um... What is it?"

His eyes so much sadness in them. I don't know what caused that glint. "Can you please wait for a while?" He asked. "Promise me that you'll give me some time to finish everything with Elisa."

I knew this would eventually happen. Of course Darren can't drop everything that's been going on with them that easily. No matter what, Elisa will always be the first love. Before I even came she is already his girlfriend. This is what worries me. I am not the type of girl who can wait on someone. I'm impatient. And besides, I can't take the risk of seeing Darren with another girl while I know that he likes me. I feel like a bitch. A very bad one. I'm practically stealing someone else's boyfriend. That sucks so much. And now hearing all of this coming from Darren's mouth, I'm not so sure if I want to keep this promise. I looked down on the floor contemplating whether to agree or not. "I-I don't know. I'm sorry but I can't." I stood up from the plastic chair and sprinted out of the door. I broke down. Water running out of my eyes. Katherine and Glacier came with a plastic of McDonald's with them. Katherine looked so concerned.

"What's wrong, honey?" She asked.

I couldn't find any word to say. I just shook my head and left. I think I heard Katherine asked Glacier to follow me. My friend chased after me. Grabbing my arm he asked, "What's wrong?"

"I-I want to go home. Please Glacier." I begged.

He nodded and led me out of the hospital. I can't face Darren for now. I think I'm staying home for a while. I can't keep a promise.

-

Four days passed by and for the last few days, Darren stayed at his parent's house for his recovery. When Glacier brought me home that day, he didn't dare to ask why I'm crying. It's like he could feel the message I want to tell him. And for four days, I spent every single day locked up in my room. The maids are my only source towards the kitchen. And also the intercom. Sometimes, Grandma would come inside my room to check on me. I think I really got her worried. I don't want my grandma stressing about me considering her old age. Getting stressed is bad for her health. But, I myself can't get over my depression. Sometimes I would ask myself if what I did is right. That I don't want to wait until Darren finally breaks up with Elisa. The reason for that is I don't even know if until when they'll be together. What if Darren can't split up with her? What if she's pregnant and Darren's the father? That way Darren will never end things with them. And of course I'll be out of the picture brokenhearted. I never want any of this drama in my life. Actually, my life's lacking of humor. There are those moments in which I just want to kill myself for not knowing what to do anymore. I'm screwed.

A knock came into my door breaking me out of my deep thoughts. I never find the courage to speak up and tell that person to come in. And so without my permission, the person came inside. I can't see who it is because I'm not facing the door. But I could tell that it's not a maid who came in. Nor grandma or Glacier.

"Dre," the small boy said. It's little Danny. What is he doing here?

"Hey," I said (more like whispered).

I felt my bed sank down. Danny must have lied down beside me. "Darren's worried. We're here for New Year's celebration tonight and mommy and daddy are helping out grandma on setting everything. But you are not downstairs." Danny said sadly. This time, he doesn't sound so matured like before. He's just an ordinary ten year old right now.

"Did your brother sent you here to talk to me?" I asked him bluntly. I got silence for an answer. I'll take that as a yes. "Tell that coward shit to talk to me directly and not to send you here to be the messanger."

Danny got out of my bed and walked outside. Poor boy. He's brother is using him. My door opened once again. This time, I know it's Darren. "It's so dark in here. Can I please open the curtains?" He asked.

I sat up straight on my bed and glared at him. From some reason, I'm so angry at him right now. "Stop beating around the bush. Get straight to the point!"

He raised his hands in surrender. "Sorry. I'm so sorry. I-I shouldn't have said that on the hospital. And by the way, I ended everything with Elisa. At first she did not accept it. She lashed out on me. But.... She texted me last night saying sorry and she asked me to win you back. " he showed of his award winning smile.

He did that for me? I feel like I'm the luckiest girl ever. "You did that for me?"

He walked towards me slowly lying down on my bed. He's not yet fully recovered. "Of course. You are my Dre. And I love you so much. I love you more than anything in the world. And besides, I love the necklace you got me for my birthday." He showed of the four leafed clover silver necklace I got him. I thought I lose that. "And that model car you got me." I hugged him. My head on his chest. I made sure not to hit his stomach. The spot where his wound is.

"I love you. Please never ever leave me again." I said.

He stroked my cheek. "I promise."

--------------------------------------------

Yey!!!!! Another chapter accomplished. 8 more chapters to go! And guys, the one - shot deadline is almost near. Is someone making one? Please comment below if you are. And If you want to ask me anything about the book or anything, please don't be shy to ask. I really need to know what you guys think of my book. After the book is done, I'm doing a major editing. Grammars, spellings, typos, etc.

Please comment and vote! Thanks.

-Gail <3