Chapter 10 - Stuck in the moment

Chapter 10

Standing here alone is pretty awkward. I just received a message from Tarah and Lizzie saying that they can't come. Now this is the most awkward party I've been too. When a waiter pass by, I stopped him.

"Excuse me, can I ask for some lemonade."

The waiter nodded and went to some place to get my lemonade. A minute later he gave me my lemonade.

"Aren't you suppose to drink some champagne or something?" Annoying Darren said.

"We aren't yet allowed to drink that."

"I bet, you didn't even taste any alcohol in your life. Ever."

I almost spit my lemonade. I hate to admit this but, he's right. I haven't tasted any yet.

"Silence means yes."

"So what if I haven't tasted any? at least I'm alcohol free. And I'm not the type who drinks then drive and might get involve into a car accident." I retorted.

Darren tensed up a little at the mention of car accident. He just stared everywhere but me. I think I struck a nerve right there. Oh yeah. His sister.

"I'm sorry." I said.

Then the next thing I know he's smirking again. "For your information, I'm not driving whenever I'm getting drunk. And you need to get some alcohol in your body if you really wanted to survive high school."

"Uh. Puh - leaze!" I sarcastically said.

"You know what? I think I'm bored here ." Darren said. Wow. What an excuse. Then he walked away.

"Hey wait." I said running after him. "Where are you going?"

Can't believe that he's really ditching this party. "Somewhere."

"Can I come with you?" Oops. I didn't expect that I'll be saying that.

He stopped walking and faced me. "Are you sure you wanted to come with me? The last time I check you don't want to be with me."

"Ugh. Look, I don't want to be with you. And I also don't want to be stuck at that party without anyone to talk to. Staying there would be complete boredom." That is completely true. Why would I let the opportunity to get out of that boring party pass?

"Fine. Come with me then. But don't complain if you don't like the place I'll be going to." Darren reminded.

I nodded. We walked towards the parking lot silently. We rode the familiar blue Mazda. Darren drove us to some place which I'm not familiar of. All I know is it's some kind of a meadow. I'm pretty sure this is far from the city.

"Welcome to my world." Darren said going out of the car.

His world? "What do you mean?"

"Well," he sat down at the hood of his car. I followed his gesture. "This is my small getaway. Whenever I'm sad or bored. Or even when I just can't stand the world in that city," he pointed at the busy lighted city. "I use to go here. This is the only place that understands my feelings."

That's a bit deep for him to say. It's the first time that I heard Darren talk like this. "But you know that after you went here you'll still be facing the same problem right?" I ask.

"Yeah."

"One thing I've learned from my experience of being alone for three years, is you should always face your problems. Never ever run away from it. I have faced a lot of problems for three years. And all of them, I manage to surpass. Think of it, if my grandmother didn't find me, I think I might have killed myself." I slightly chuckled .

"I know. I think we only have the same experience. We both lost our parents. But the difference is, you really lost them. While me, they are there but they seem to be very far from me."

I understand him now. I understand why he always cover up the real him.

Darren stood up. "Where are you going?" I asked him.

He didn't answer. But instead, he opened the back compartment and pulled out a blanket. "Can you please move your ass out of my hood." Even if we are talking about some touchy subject, he still manage to goof around.

I hop out of his hood. He placed the blanket there and then laid down. Then I went to my usual spot and sat down. I don't think I wanna lie down beside him. That will be awkward. He just stared at the sky filled with glistening stars. And I, just stared at him. His blue eyes soften a bit. The last time I stared at those eyes, they are really really cold. No emotion shown. Then there goes his hair. I wanted to touch it so bad. But I'm really trying my best no to. When my eyes landed to his lips, a thought of kissing him popped inside my head. I could feel by heart beating against my chest when I thought of that. What's happening with me? Why am I always feeling like this whenever I'm with him? It's very unusual.

My eyes met Darren's. Now I'm blushing so hard. He caught me staring at him! What if he'll make another innuendo about that? I'll be mega humiliated! But he didn't. Instead, the next thing I know is his face is really, really, REALLY, near mine. I think I lack out of air. Everything around us stopped. It was only him and me. His face is an inch away. What am I going to do?!? Damn. His soft lips collided with mine. Then a lot of butterflies fluttered inside me. And you know those sparks their talking about? I also had those. Even goose bumps. Even that electrifying touch when he touched my face. What's wrong with me?!? Am I getting retarded or something?

Darren's other hand is on my back. And the other one is cupping my face. He leaned me closer to him while our lips move in sync. My fingers got tangled at his soft blonde hair. Neither of us wanted to pull way. It just continued. But I swear, I really needed some air!

"Well I've been searching for something true My heart says it must be you I'd love to fall and see it through But only if you told me to."

Darren's cellphone broke our little make out session. He pulled away and dig his hand into his pocket.

"Hello?"

I took that time to gasp some air that I lost. I can't believe what I just did. I'll make sure to thank the caller. But a part of me still wanted to kiss his soft lips. Stop it Lea! Stop! No more make out scenes from Darren or even a single kiss! It drives you crazy!

"Yeah. Bye." Darren said.

"Who's that?" I asked.

"Lance."

I'm going to thank him later. "What did he say?"

"I need to go back at the party. My girlfriend is looking for me." I think my heart just got torn. Darren has a girlfriend? I don't know that.

"Girlfriend? You have a girlfriend?!?" I asked.

"Yeah. Ellisa Meyer." he replied. As if it was nothing.

"But, I just saw you making out with Kendall at the school's hallway." I said in a low voice.

"Yeah. But that's on the first day of school. That's six weeks ago." He got up and I also got up. He folded the blanket.

I don't know what to feel. I feel like I just got slapped really hard. This was all of it. Of course. He's a player. I should have listened to Lizzie. Now it's too late. I just got myself hurt. He loves playing with girls. That make out scene merely second ago. That date. That kiss. That story. I'm so stupid.