Chapter 18 - Merry Christmas!

• Dedicated to Someone very important to my best friend who sprinted in a good place...

Sorry guys for the very long wait. We all know that I only update once in a blue moon. Well anyway a very dear friend of mine lost someone who's so special to her. I admit, I also cried when I heard the news. I gave her a comforting hug. I wouldn't write her name but if ever you read this chapter, I want to dedicate this to the important friend you have lost. I'm so sorry. I'm always here to comfort you.

Well here's chapter eighteen guys. Hope you enjoy!

__________________________________________________________________________

The snow is pouring outside. I saw how everyone filed inside the mansion. Grandma only invited some people. And that will consist of all the families of my friends. When Darren's family came, I immediately recognized who they are. Considering that Danny is with them and they pretty much look a like. His parents are both blonds. If you would look at Mr. Knight, he looks like the perfect father. He's pretty simple. He's wearing a suit. You know how those businessmen looks like? That's how he looks. He looks exactly like his sons. Mrs. Knight is the definition of gorgeous. She's very beautiful. Her blond hair was tied in a sophisticated bun, she's wearing a red dress and shoes. She also has a set of pearl jewelries matching her out fit. Little Danny is wearing a white buttoned shirt with a red tie and a blue sweater. Oh don't forget his black pants.

Darren came in. Our eyes met for a split second before I remove my gaze from him. I couldn't just look at him for a reason. I'm afraid that I might get hurt. That necklace I got for him, I never saw that. I just hope I can eventually find it. I walked on the other direction and joined Lizzie and Tarah. I also invited Erin here. And she immediately got close to Lizzie and Tarah. We talked for a couple of minutes before a lady I didn't expect to talk to me approached.

"Are you Lea?" Mrs. Knight asked.

I don't know what to say. Stuttering I replied, "I - Uh... Yes."

"Can I talk to you privately?" Mrs. Knight asked.

"Sure." I looked at my friends who immediately understood.

We walked towards an empty hallway. To tell you the truth, I'm actually nervous right now. I mean I am going to talk to Darren's mom. What if she's actually going to ask me to stay away from his son? What if she don't like me? Oh no.

"Lea, I'm Darren's mom. Katherine Knight." She offered me a very friendly smile.

"Nice meeting you Mrs. Knight." I said.

She pouted. I'm not joking. A pout. "Oh dear, don't call me Mrs. Knight. It makes me feel so old. Call me Katherine instead."

"Oh. Sorry." I gave her an apologetic smile. "Katherine then."

"Now I will get straight to the point. Danny told us when he went home last time that he really had fun here. He said that you are his new friend. And as I can see, both of my sons like you. Specially Darren." Katherine said.

All I ever did was nod. I really don't know where this talk is leading. And I am also very nervous. "Wh-what about Darren? I don't mean to be rude.. But what do you mean?"

She sighed. "Lea dear, Darren's father and I... I think we are a bit selfish to Darren. Ever since his sister died, he changed. Partly because we both blame him for his sister's death. He did a lot of things so that we can forgive him. But in our eyes he was still the cause of Dianna's death. He was to be blamed." Katherine's eyes started welling up.

Now I understand everything. It wasn't all Darren's fault. It was also their fault. Why are they throwing everything at their son? Didn't they know about all the baggage they gave to him?

"Well Katherine, I don't want to interfere in your family problems. You should be the one fixing it. But since your son seems so bruised about the accident, I have to tell you everything I know." Here goes nothing... "He has been carrying everything for almost four years. He is also blaming his self. He built a wall and wouldn't just let anyone get through it. He drinks to forget, and excuse my word, he fucks just to forget. I know that Darren isn't this kind of a guy. Deep inside I know his kind enough to care about girl's feelings. But since you place him in this deep depression, he changed. A very big change." I couldn't help my mouth. This is what I think. I don't care if Katherine will get mad at me. All I know is I need to fix a very big puzzle.

She seems so lost. Like she's thinking really deep. Then I didn't expect that she'll hug me. She cried. "I - I didn't know that this happened to him. My boy who seems so carefree before.... He's very different now. I wish I could bring back everything... Oh how I wish..."

I hugged the poor woman back. I know what she feels. I also wished that I could bring my parents back. But we know that it won't happen... "Katherine, I know how it feels to lose your parents. It's sad, devastating, and lonely. Please, Darren lost his sister... You wouldn't let him lose his parents too won't you?"

She stared at me and smiled. "No. I won't."

I nodded. This is where it all ended. His problems. They'll end. I'm so happy for him.

"I can see your great affection for my son. You love him don't you?"

I was shocked by Katherine's question. I look down on the floor. How did she know? "Love? Uh... I think I have to go. Grandma's calling." I pretended.

"Lea, thanks for helping. And if I were you, I'll tell Darren what I feel before it's too late." Katherine left me and went to Darren's dad. They talked for a few minutes before going to Darren and talked to him.

I'm pretty sure by now they're okay. I walked towards my friends. But before I reach them, a pair of hands snatched my wrist. Andrew stood there looking really good.

"Hey," he said.

"Hi. You look really good tonight." I said.

"You don't look too bad yourself." he replied. "By the way thanks."

It has been days since the last time I saw Andrew. The last time was when we had our first ever date. It was pretty simple if you would ask me. Just some dinner in a restaurant and a couple of chatting. But it's nothing compared to the fun date I had with Darren. Oh boy. What am I doing? Comparing to boys to one another? I better stop this...

"Um......... you're welcome I guess..." I trailed. This is so embarrassing. Why did I even say that in the first place? Shoot.

"So.... can I ask you one question?" Andrew asked.

I wonder what's this question about. "Sure. What is it?"

He took a deep breath. "Can you be my girlfriend?"

To say that I was startled by his question is an understatement. I am beyond shock. Why would Andrew ask such? We only had one date and I don't know him that well. Why would he do this? He must be really into you.. Maybe. Maybe not. But I really have no feelings for Andrew. So right now, if ever I might hurt him, I'll just apologize later. But I know that I'll regret letting go of a very kind guy who had been nothing but kind to me. "I-I don't know... I'm really sorry Andrew. I hate to break this but... I really don't have any feelings for you." His face fell. And I know that I crushed his heart. "Don't get me wrong. I like you..."

"But as a friend." he finished. Sadness loomed inside his eyes. I really feel sorry for what I did. But I can't lie to him. I love someone else.

"Yes. As a friend... I'm really sorry.." I croaked. It crushes me inside seeing someone devastated because of me. I feel like I'm the most cruel person who ever lived whenever someone is mad at me or sad.

Almost immediately, Andrew's lips formed into a smile. "It's okay.. I guess I'll just have to find someone else. What am I even thinking asking you that question? I'm sorry..." he turned around and left.

I am planning to say that we can be friends. But I guess the guy's really hurt. Who can blame him? I know the feeling of being broken hearted. I had it a couple of times now. I sighed. I shouldn't be feeling bad right now. It's Christmas. I went back to my friends and chatted with them. But at the corner, I could feel Darren's eyes on me. When I turned to look at him, he's glaring at me. What on earth did I do now to make him so pissed? Is it because I talked to his mom. But as I observed a while ago, they're already okay. But what is this? I decided to ignore him. I don't know what I did but I won't let him ruin Christmas just because of some reason.

"Hey Lea, why is Mr. Hotty pants staring at you as if you are his worst nightmare?" Erin whispered in my ear. I looked at her then Darren. He is indeed looking at me as if I'm his worst nightmare.

I look back at Erin. "Let him stare at me like that. I don't care. I don't know what I did wrong but I won't let him ruin my Christmas." I ranted. I'm really pissed right now. He is getting on my skin.

Lizzie clapped her hands calling all our attention. "Hey guys, Let's all go to the backyard. Let the elderly enjoy themselves here inside." We all laughed at Lizzie's remark.

Lizzie, Tarah, Lyda -Lizzie's sister- , Clark -Tarah's brother-, Glacier, Annie -Glacier's younger sister-, James -Glacier's elder brother-, Darren, Danny. Erin and I all went out. There's a small picnic table set up outside and some lawn chairs scattered around the table. Christmas lights lit the whole place. The guys held out beers except for Danny who has a lemonade with him. The young man came rushing to me.

"Hi Dre," he said.

I ruffled his hair and smiled at him. "Hi Danny boy. How are you doing?"

"I'm fine. I owe you a big thank you. You manage to patch up my parents and Darren's relationship." he smiled and hugged me really tight. I hug him back and grinned.

"Your welcome. Anything for your family." I said. I raised my left wrist and stared at the time. "Hey guys! Ten seconds before Christmas!"

Everyone's head snapped towards my direction.

"Ten," Lizzie started.

Before I know it, we are all counting down for Christmas.

"Four, Three, Two, One! Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Everyone shouted.

I wrapped my girls in a hug and together we smiled. "Gift giving!!" The three of us exclaimed.

We all sprinted inside and gathered around the big Christmas tree. Everyone got all their gifts in a split second. I gave all of my friends and some people I know gifts. Only one person didn't receive my gift. Darren. I am planning on giving it to him later. When he stops glaring. Yes he did not yet stop glaring. But I want to cut it out already. I walked towards him. Tapping his shoulders, I nervously sighed. He turned. Anger filled his eyes. A pang of guilt hit me. A flash of jealousy also glowed in his eyes.

"Slut..." he muttered.

The world stopped. My heart melted in a bad way. I dropped the box I am holding. Without thinking, my hands slapped Darren's hands across his face. A loud sound echoed around the room. Every pair of eyes on us. Tears fell on my face.

"Lea!" Grandma yelled.

I look around me and everyone's mouth hanged low. My Christmas was ruined. I ran as fast as I can outside the cold winter weather. I didn't dare look back if anyone is following me or not. The words he said circulated on my head breaking my heart again and again. Without noticing, somebody grabbed my wrist and covered my mouth with a scented handkerchief. I tried to wriggle away from this strong arms but my attempt failed. My screams were muffled so nobody can hear me. I am panicking. I think I'm being kidnapped on Christmas day. And I know that this is one of the perks of being an heiress. Getting kidnapped. My Christmas is really a disaster. Things happened beyond my will. How can my life be so dramatic? A tear slip before my eyes. My eyes slowly got heavy. Before I blacked out, I heard one voice called out my name.

"Dre!" There's only one person who I know calls me this name.

Then everything turned black.....